Breaking in method...Letting it run idle?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Breaking in method...Letting it run idle?

Post by 85spreeelite »

After adding the 4 cap full of the honda oil to my gas and re checking all my bolts could I just let it run idle on my patio in my enclosed backyard? I mean let it run till the full tank is gone? Has anyone tried that with breaking in a big bore kit on there hondas? :?:
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

Ok after running for 3 hours and going through 1/4 of the full tank I shut the bike off and waited 5 minutes and started it again but I didnt kick start it. When I pushed the button it seemed to turn over more smoothly then b4 I was told to add the oil to my gas. I am going to scoot around on it but I was wonder would this method speed up the breaking in process?
islandbayy
Elite
Elite

Post by islandbayy »

No, it will only damage your bike more. It will idle better, however, you are supposted to Vary the engine speed during break in. You would have gotten better results from driving it in a parking lot, varrying the speed for 30 minutes, then letting it idle for 3 hrs.
Owner of K-Man Auto, Scooters, & Electric Cars
Home of Wisconsin's First Street Legal DOT Licensed Electric Cars!
http://KmanScooters.com
http://MilwaukeeEV.com
Crotchrocket
BMX
BMX

Post by Crotchrocket »

I advised 450 miles....how many "miles" did the odometer turn idling in your back yard?
It turned over easier huh? Know why? Lack of oil, friction, heat,compression&oil ring wear,= less compression!=turns over easier!

OK ?
Please dont try to come up with your own "methods" for elite break in!
IslandBayy is correct it WILL damage the bike, also correct is the variance of rpms!
Now ....
1) ride the bike normal until you have no less than 450 miles.
2)Idling an elite is one of the worst things for an elite engine broke in or not!!
Why you say?
How much oil is the injector injecting while idling?
Answer: NOT VERY MUCH ...so dont idle...stopped at a stop light? vroom vroom vroom vroom work throt!
How much air is the engine getting?
Answer: NOT VERY MUCH....matter of fact....the least is can get while running!!!!!!!PLUS its sucking in HOT air that the engine is generating just sitting there .. So dont idle!! ride it !! it gets proper oil, the rpm's vary, your movig so the air helps cool it ...especially if you built a ram air cup!
Also its good to accumualte the 450 miles over at least several runnings ..the engine and all the NEW moving parts heat and cool...expand and contract.

*Even when its broke in avoid idling.....its not cool!
Dude get out the paperwork that came with the Polini Contesa kit and READ!

OK?
"CrotchRocket"

1994 Honda Elite SR-Polini 72CC Corsa kit-Polini Carbon Reeds-#100 Carb Jet-Keli Variator-1000RPM Center Clutch Spring-Ram Air Cooling-60MPH!
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

Fully understood now CR. Im going to take her to the EMU parking lot now that all the students are gone for the summer.
skaltpunk
Goped
Goped

Post by skaltpunk »

is this a brand new spree that you're breaking in or a modified one?
skaltpunk
Goped
Goped

Post by skaltpunk »

does this apply to new sprees? i just picked one up with 66 original miles on it. should i be very wary of idling it at all?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

this isnt a spree and its modified with a big bore kit you cant get for a spree. IDK if sprees need breaking in or notr out of the box the best way i heard to break in a engine is to putt putt around for about 15minutes and then beat the s*** out of it.

http://216.219.217.96/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Crotchrocket
BMX
BMX

Post by Crotchrocket »

Dude....Buy one, and do that!
See what happens!
"CrotchRocket"

1994 Honda Elite SR-Polini 72CC Corsa kit-Polini Carbon Reeds-#100 Carb Jet-Keli Variator-1000RPM Center Clutch Spring-Ram Air Cooling-60MPH!
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:this isnt a spree and its modified with a big bore kit you cant get for a spree. IDK if sprees need breaking in or notr out of the box the best way i heard to break in a engine is to putt putt around for about 15minutes and then beat the s*** out of it.

http://216.219.217.96/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
I believe those refer to 4 stroke engines.
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
Crotchrocket
BMX
BMX

Post by Crotchrocket »

lmao indeed!
"CrotchRocket"

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

the basic concept is still the same
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
e30srthebest
Noob
Noob

Post by e30srthebest »

lol...

I personally wouldnt risk it, but im calling what that guy said on his site BS...
(maybe its for brand new engines but its still BS, "thousands of psi?" I have yet to see and engine getting more than 300 psi on its compression cycle, not oly that but that spring tension creates a seal, it doesnt fight the pressure)

I have tried this and destroyed my ATC engine cause the oil ring broke

I am doing a ring change on my kart engine and would never dream of doing such a hoprrible thing to an engine.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It makes thousands of psi when the fuel is ignited. And I have seen a custom built chevy small block bury the needle on a 300psi gauge. I think you got a defective ring.
Crotchrocket
BMX
BMX

Post by Crotchrocket »

Kenny......NO the basic concept is not the same!!
Do go and read something so you learn the difference in a 2 cycle and 4 stroke engine brother, 2 cycles work very hard and turn much more rpms in general... the biggest diff is THERE IS A CRANKCASE FULL OF AND THROWING OIL ALL OVER THE MOVING PARTS!
ok?
Last edited by Crotchrocket on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"CrotchRocket"