Can you use a stock belt with a pulley mod?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

fireblade
Spree
Spree

Can you use a stock belt with a pulley mod?

Post by fireblade »

Can the rear pulley give enough to enable the retaining of a stock belt with the pulley mod?
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

probably but by keeping the original belt and not getting a longer one you actually double what you are trying to do and in most cases with a spree that will put too much of a load on the engine (the rear pulley will open making the contact area smaller and decreasing the ratio (ex: 3:1 compared to 1:1)).

Most spree engines unless extremely modded cannot take much of a load and that is why everyone says to get the longer belt when doing the speed pulley mod.
Scooters I have:
1985 (mostly unmodded) Honda Spree
2007 Honda Silverwing
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

So as long as I take note of how much longer the new belt needs to be, it will still work with a stock belt ? And if need be I can get the right belt later. I've got a few spares now, I might shave a head and drill out a few baffles first, then see how it copes with the extra load. I'm too mean to buy a new belt unless I absolutely have to.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

All scoots from New Zealand or Australia are Japan models, also its not a longer belt that makes speed its a wider belt that rides pulleys higher :lol:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

Yes, but if you have already done the pully mod for speed, it would be pointless to get a wider belt because you would double the effect, and a spree engine really can't power that.
Scooters I have:
1985 (mostly unmodded) Honda Spree
2007 Honda Silverwing
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

How would a wider belt make the gearing higer.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

fireblade wrote:How would a wider belt make the gearing higer.
It rides higher on the front pulley and lower on the rear pulley.
Last edited by Kenny_McCormic on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The front pulley gets a fixed width, with the rear pulley taking up the slack by changing effective diameter.

It's hard to explain, easy to visualize if you pull off the pulley cover and take a look.

The pulley is really sensitive to changes; you need to remove material in the .010" range and see how it goes. Too much ratio change and you'll bog the engine. Of course, you can also raise compression / lightly port the exhaust to help offset that too.

rac
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
DrZ34
Goped
Goped

Post by DrZ34 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
It rides higher on BOTH pulleys cuz its fatter,

and beofre some one challenges my AUTHORI TYE. I own a 40 mph drag tractor with a similar belt type drive , ive been throughm my share of belts , and i did a plug chop to boot!
Green for tha' money gold 4 tha honeys :roll:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

DrZ34 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
It rides higher on BOTH pulleys cuz its fatter,

and beofre some one challenges my AUTHORI TYE. I own a 40 mph drag tractor with a similar belt type drive , ive been throughm my share of belts , and i did a plug chop to boot!
Your forgetting that the rear pully SEPERATES AND ALLOWS THE BELT TO RIDE LOWER when the belt tension is increased by the belt riding higher on the front pulley.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

I might just try machining the pulley down in very small increments.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Now that I think about it, just running a wider belt might give the same effect as milling the pulley. I will have to try this when my 22 year old stock belt finally goes.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

22 yrs on a belt? i have belts that dry rot after 2 yrs of just hanging, tires will last 5 yrs and fuel will break down after 30 days!
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It only has a little over 3k miles on it. and it is all cracked up, so is my front tire.