Turbo

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Turbo

Post by Bear45-70 »

Take nothing! He has a second 50cc engine to run his blower. That ain't no d*** electric motor running the huffer that the alternator on the scooter's motor has to drive. An apples to oranges comparision at best. Also there are no hard numbers for a comparison from any valid test gear, not even a GPS. On top of that these guys are morons at best and I wouldn't believe anything they claimed. Oh and the bike seem pretty slow to me with the blower.

FYI, I know all about those marine bilge blowers and pressure wise they make about 1 PSI. Your plan is doomed for failure at this point. You need to find an electric ducted fan set up for model airplanes if you want any chance of this working.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Uhhhh... never was it said it was impossible. You just failed to mention the second engine to power the fan. You won't power an electric fan capable of the cfm required for long enough to make the project a worthwhile, workable idea. Innovation has many humble sources, yet many a good machine has been utterly destroyed in the quest to achive it. The project you describe would likely fall victim of your good intentions. Even if you managed to figure out some crude form of fuel management to accompany your electric supercharger, you (especially if you consider the video you posted to be "proof of concept") will demolish the aesthetics of the scooter and negatively affect the rideability.

Turbo and supercharged scooters have been done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXcM9evUpo This is how it's done.
Take that :ndance:

*edit* :hi: Hi Bear! You beat me to it!
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

If all you're going to say is "it's doomed" "it won't work" the fine, whatever.
If you have any ideas let me know! I don't care how pessimistic online forums are I'm in it for sifting the crud for good advice.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

nickisaninja wrote:If all you're going to say is "it's doomed" "it won't work" the fine, whatever.
If you have any ideas let me know! I don't care how pessimistic online forums are I'm in it for sifting the crud for good advice.
No, I said if you stayed on your present course with the blower you had chosen that you are doomed. Then if you had paid attention you would have noticed I gave you a better option for a blower with some real power. But it appears you will fail because you won't keep an open mind for new and better ideas from others. :jack:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

EDF's have potential. They use a ton of power though. An external battery would be needed, not such a huge deal but I found a few candidates. Since such little amounts of air is needed for these motors an EDF WILL work. Getting either pressure or flow is easy through an electric fan. Getting both is nearly impossible without obscene amounts of energy. Since this application needs any excess of flow or pressure it should be an easy task.

Lots of drama in this forum.. how about some civil discussions people?!
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

nickisaninja wrote:EDF's have potential. They use a ton of power though. An external battery would be needed, not such a huge deal but I found a few candidates. Since such little amounts of air is needed for these motors an EDF WILL work. Getting either pressure or flow is easy through an electric fan. Getting both is nearly impossible without obscene amounts of energy. Since this application needs any excess of flow or pressure it should be an easy task.

:jack:
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

nickisaninja wrote:EDF's have potential. They use a ton of power though. An external battery would be needed, not such a huge deal but I found a few candidates. Since such little amounts of air is needed for these motors an EDF WILL work. Getting either pressure or flow is easy through an electric fan. Getting both is nearly impossible without obscene amounts of energy. Since this application needs any excess of flow or pressure it should be an easy task.

The only way your going to get any power is to find a fan that is designed for pressure and not cfm. It WILL take an extra battery just to power the fan. Any fan that could be powered off the stock battery is no where even remotely close enough to being big enough. Bear apparently knows what fan would work, i have no idea about them

take this fan for example
http://www.amazon.com/Air-King-20-Inch- ... B0007Q3RMA
it makes 2,140 cfm. But if you tried to bottle that air up, it would make relativly 0 pressure. Those are the types of fans you keep suggesting. Except the leaf blower. While it is still the same principle (high cfm, low pressure) it has a 49cc motor driving it. Lets say the motor on that leaf blower is 6hp. If you got a 12 volt, 6 hp, electric motor. It would take 414 amps (by a rough calculation) to drive that motor. More to get it spinning. That is not not possible, that is why that youtube video serves does not add anything to this thread.

Then how do you plan to keep your air/fuel mixture right?

nickisaninja wrote: Lots of drama in this forum.. how about some civil discussions people?!
the drama in this thread is from the fact that you keep being * about ideas that will not work. It can be done, but not with the equipment you keep suggesting
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Two things that most seem unaware of.

First, EDF (Electric Ducted Fan) uses pressure and CFM because it is used to power model airplanes and without both pressure and CFM it would not work as a jet type power plant. They are also very efficient in their use of electric power because the airplane has to be light.

Second, a leaf blow or a house fan, etc are inefficient at moving air and wasteful in the power use. Because of that, their consideration for this use is a non-issue.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

nickisaninja wrote:
An electric supercharger will never work on a spree because the available 12v is limited to 1 or 1.5 amps of current.

Watts (Power) is mathematically Votage X Current.

12volts X 1.5amps = 18watts

18 watts = 0.024 hp

Now explain to me how you take an electrical system that barley makes enuff power to sustain the running lights of your scooter and make it run a supercharger that adds HP to your scooter. :crazy:

Oh yeah, you have a bigger battery :eyeroll:

So lets assume your big battery can power this

It is rated at 12v and consumes 6.5amps of current

12volts X 6.5amps = 78 watts

Just for fun we will assume that this blower is 100% efficient :jack:
78watts to run this "supercharger" could still only make 0.1 HP (which I am sure will be offset by the additional weight of the big battery)

The youtube video of the morons with a leaf blower only proves that lots of idiots own mopeds. :*:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

I'll start shopping for an EDF then.

So it makes ".1hp" ? Are you sure about that? Have you tested it and have anything you've done in real world experiences helped shape your opinion of a complete loss?
It could still only make .1hp. It could also overcome intake restrictions and improve airflow significantly.
YES! my battery can power that. My battery is rated at 22ah and is awesome.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Trafficjamz wrote:
nickisaninja wrote:
An electric supercharger will never work on a spree because the available 12v is limited to 1 or 1.5 amps of current.

18 watts = 0.024 hp

Now explain to me how you take an electrical system that barley makes enuff power to sustain the running lights of your scooter and make it run a supercharger that adds HP to your scooter. :crazy:

78watts to run this "supercharger" could still only make 0.1 HP (which I am sure will be offset by the additional weight of the big battery)

The youtube video of the morons with a leaf blower only proves that lots of idiots own mopeds. :*:
i could be wrong on this, but i think your logic is off. While your point is valid (that that blower would do absolutly no good for this). Wattage does not calculate straight over to hp to the wheels, when your mixing the air with fuel and creating an explosion. So your calculations don't really mean anything (although its pretty funny to think of 78 trying to make power) but your point is still on the right track. Anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

I've never been able to calculate invested electrical current through an intake to hp either. It's a bunch of hooey.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

PimpinSpree wrote:
Trafficjamz wrote:
nickisaninja wrote:

18 watts = 0.024 hp

i could be wrong on this, but i think your logic is off. While your point is valid (that that blower would do absolutly no good for this). Wattage does not calculate straight over to hp to the wheels, when your mixing the air with fuel and creating an explosion. So your calculations don't really mean anything (although its pretty funny to think of 78 trying to make power) but your point is still on the right track. Anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong
traffic is talking about the hp a fan would make not what the scooter would make :thumbwink:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

So it makes ".1hp" ? Are you sure about that? Have you tested it and have anything you've done in real world experiences helped shape your opinion of a complete loss?
The fan TAKES .1 HP to spin.

How would it ADD MORE POWER than that back to the engine?

FREE POWER ?!?! :confused:

If you have invented a way to CREATE POWER out of nothing, Let me know. :eyeroll:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight