Turbo

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Re: Turbo

Post by nickisaninja »

This motor doesn't run on compressed air. It burns air and fuel.
It takes power to make power buddy! That's what the wonderful world of supercharging is all about.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

nickisaninja wrote:It takes power to make power buddy!
So how would a fan that TAKES 0.1hp to spin, ADD more than 0.1 hp to the wheels?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

nickisaninja wrote:It burns air and fuel.
It burns air fuel at a specific ratio too. How is this metered in your $100 fan setup? :crazy:

This thread only comes up when some NOOB, who has no idea why his scooter doesn't run right, wants to add a ebay turbo to thier scooter.

If you google "TURBO SPREE" This stupid thread comes up :surprise:

So stop it already.........NO REAL TURBO / SUPERCHARGER can be added to the spree without THOUSANDS in upgrades.
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

I work on cars, those weird things normal people use and you might have heard of them.
A blow through or suck through carb would meter a/f just fine, no need for anything weird.

It doesn't cost thousands to turbo a tiny 2stroke motor. Get over yourself I already stated the drama llama ran through this thread and big capital letters don't help anything. If you want to make a hate forum about me go do that but please stop posting nonsense in threads people use for actual information.

I just want to cram some air into this thing, not run a reliable turbo setup for competition use. I got my spree for FREE that means I get to screw with it all I want with seemingly no loss. If I want to throw a blender through a power take off on a spree, awesome. Mobile margaritaville. Sure it sounds stupid but it could work.
That's what I'm getting at. It CAN work! Throwing an electric motor with a prop and duct to feed air into a motor CAN work.

It may not lay down hundreds more on a dyno but *, it's going to do something.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

nickisaninja wrote: I just want to cram some air into this thing, not run a reliable turbo setup for competition use. I got my spree for FREE that means I get to screw with it all I want with seemingly no loss.
1. Use an air compressor to charge up a small tank with air. :smile:

2. pipe the small air tank into your air box :wink:

3. "Cram" as much air as you want :crazy:

4. Post your results. :jack:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3210902/tm.htm
at least it is not just idiots on this fourm :*:
Last edited by Trafficjamz on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

TJ, I find it interesting that the mad modder (that's you) coming down on someone for trying to finding a new mod to try. :shock:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

bear thats because traffic lives in the real world, ninja douche does not, he believes that you can stick a hair dryer on a spree and call it a turbo. To his credit, Mercedes has made and electric supercharger that functions well, but its an electric motor turning a wheel in a compressor housing, with millions of dollars in the design, which was found to not be practical. With that in mind if you think you can throw a fan on it and it does create psi which is almost impossible (but not completely impossible), then what you think you can tune it, dsm link dont work on a spree... good luck... Im not trying to kill your dreams just trying to get you to realize, that if you dream you can jump off the empire state building without a shoot your probably die if you do it in real life....
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Bear45-70 wrote:TJ, I find it interesting that the mad modder (that's you) coming down on someone for trying to finding a new mod to try. :shock:
$450 turbo
Home made turbo (made from tin cans and solder.) :naughty:

I am not saying it can't be done.

I am saying that it is very expensive.

If a hair dryer could be used as a turbo, I would have done it by now. :wink:
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

Most of the equipment I have in my garage, that's why I'm moving towards doing this. I can make everything myself I just need a propeller. I even have 12v dc brushless motors and gearboxes! I've got lithium batteries, charges, too much crap to not use making a scooter go faster.
If I have to rectify some more current off the stator so be it, I'm not really concerned about that. For such a small carb and a small engine needing such a small amount of air why not?
Tin turbo is pretty badass by the way

aaand what makes you think I run dsmlink?
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Trafficjamz wrote:
So it makes ".1hp" ? Are you sure about that? Have you tested it and have anything you've done in real world experiences helped shape your opinion of a complete loss?
The fan TAKES .1 HP to spin.

How would it ADD MORE POWER than that back to the engine?

FREE POWER ?!?! :confused:

If you have invented a way to CREATE POWER out of nothing, Let me know. :eyeroll:
fastplastic wrote: traffic is talking about the hp a fan would make not what the scooter would make :thumbwink:
The fuel is what makes the power. Read my last post on the subject. Your point is right, that this won't work, but your right for the wrong reason. In fact your completely off track. Think about this one: A belt driven supercharger uses a motor to spin. Then it forces air into that same motor and the motor makes tons and tons more power than what it lost from having to spin the supercharger. The fuel is what is making the power, forcing air into the motor is doing nothing other than allowing more fuel to burn

But more on topic, the only way this would work is to hook a very large fan up to a car battery, charge the car battery in your garage, ride around for a half hour and then go recharge your battery. Youd be better off with the gas leaf blower
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

fastplastic wrote:bear thats because traffic lives in the real world, ninja douche does not, he believes that you can stick a hair dryer on a spree and call it a turbo. To his credit, Mercedes has made and electric supercharger that functions well, but its an electric motor turning a wheel in a compressor housing, with millions of dollars in the design, which was found to not be practical. With that in mind if you think you can throw a fan on it and it does create psi which is almost impossible (but not completely impossible), then what you think you can tune it, dsm link dont work on a spree... good luck... Im not trying to kill your dreams just trying to get you to realize, that if you dream you can jump off the empire state building without a shoot your probably die if you do it in real life....
Your problem is you and a number of other guys are stuck on the hair dryer and not evaluating what is being looked at now. I also recognize the hair dryer or bilge blower as non winners, but ducted fans are amazingly effecient in moving and pressurizing air and their motors are amazingly thrifty electrical power users. So drop the whining about the hair dryer becausae he is past that and look at what is being considered now.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

PimpinSpree wrote:
Trafficjamz wrote:
So it makes ".1hp" ? Are you sure about that? Have you tested it and have anything you've done in real world experiences helped shape your opinion of a complete loss?
The fan TAKES .1 HP to spin.

How would it ADD MORE POWER than that back to the engine?

FREE POWER ?!?! :confused:

If you have invented a way to CREATE POWER out of nothing, Let me know. :eyeroll:
fastplastic wrote: traffic is talking about the hp a fan would make not what the scooter would make :thumbwink:
The fuel is what makes the power. Read my last post on the subject. Your point is right, that this won't work, but your right for the wrong reason. In fact your completely off track. Think about this one: A belt driven supercharger uses a motor to spin. Then it forces air into that same motor and the motor makes tons and tons more power than what it lost from having to spin the supercharger. The fuel is what is making the power, forcing air into the motor is doing nothing other than allowing more fuel to burn

But more on topic, the only way this would work is to hook a very large fan up to a car battery, charge the car battery in your garage, ride around for a half hour and then go recharge your battery. Youd be better off with the gas leaf blower
No, he is way better off with an Electrical Ducted Fan than the weed blower. Also he needs to pressurize after the carb or he has to house the whole carb in a pressurized housing. Otherwise he has to suck thru the carb not blow thru it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I see your point pimpin'

a belt driven super charger for a car canand does put back more hp than it subtracts from the engine.

But an electric fan will never work.

A rise in air pressure would need to be matched by more fuel.

Turbo systems are more complex than "cramming air" in to the intake.

If it was just cramming air in there, the air tank idea would work.

and BTW the tin can turbo is a "FAIL" not badass :*:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You guys really don't understand how a carburated turbo system works or even how a carbed mechanical blower system works.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Bear45-70 wrote:You guys really don't understand how a carburated turbo system works or even how a carbed mechanical blower system works.

i sure don't, why don't you explain it. I've always been confused on how you would get the air fuel mixture right without fuel injection