Polini + Keli + 1000 RPM Center Spring

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Polini + Keli + 1000 RPM Center Spring

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Pics tomorrow. Started immediately. Runs smoothly & well.Feels uncomfortably revvy for break-in.

Keli wts. are 8s (I think...) Tan they are. Like Yoda I speak. :)

Q1: To what exactly does the "1000"-RPM spring designation refer?

Q2: Does this combination sound like a good match for breaking in the Polini?

Just rode another 3 miles. Takeoff remarkably better. I let it get above 30 for the 1st time briefly. Varying throttle position, briefly WOT, pulls well and a lot left.

Running Keli with dry rollers. There is more engine braking off-throttle than before.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

answer 1.
i do believe the 1000 designation refers to the springs having 1000 rpm as the point where they start to engage. think clutch drop at 1000 rpm. however, sometimes, they mean 1000 over stock. its confusing, i used to use the ol seat of the pants dyno, but now i got a tach, so i know for sure. get a malossi delta or some other sort of adjustable clutch, and you can adjust the preload on the spring, varying its tension and therefore engagement point...

answer 2.
that setup ought to be golden for break in, i found that 6.5g rollers really carries alot more speed up hills. big bore torque!
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

The actual numeric value of 1000 is less meaningful than it is about it's stiffness in relation to a 1500 or a 2000 center spring. A 1000 is normally 1 step stiffer than stock, however each brand's quality (and rating) are different. Some of the cheaper ones will fatigue sooner while others (being underrated) tend to last longer.

When you tune with weights, you tune it to the pipe. Sounds simple but it takes a decent amount of experience to know how to tune it well. There's no sense in tuning with very light weights when the pipe is rated for a lower rpm. When you start off with 7's or 8's, that's a decent middle ground. High flow pipes (like a PG Long/Short on a DIO) with a 72cc works best with around 36g all around. Do that with a stock S pipe and you'll mostly overwork the motor without benefiting much from the lighter weights.

If the motor is close to being stock-tuned (displacement and carb are both stock using a stock pipe), I'd suggest not going much below 42g. Again there's always the personal preference factor of the rider. :D
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.