A few questions head milling, exaust port ect...

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

beefy
BMX
BMX

A few questions head milling, exaust port ect...

Post by beefy »

I have a 1990 elite e sb50p so here's my questions sorry if the run a little long

1 Just drilled one of the baffles and very Impressed with the power I got out of it what would you say you get more power from baffle drilling or milling the head? Just kind of wondering how much more performance I can expect.

2 Will milling the head decrease the top end any?

3 How much reliability will I lose milling the head?

4 On another subject If I port out the exaust port will I have to worry at all about back preasure? I don't think it would because I figure the exhaust is handling it, but what do I know.

One last thing my cousin just bought an elite dio that runs great for $360.00 so he's afficially now a *.
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

officially sorry about the spelling
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

sell your honda E and buy honda elite s/sr :roll: :wink:
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Isn't the e the one with the AF05E engine like the Spree? Check my thread on Spree test bed for mods. Milling the head and porting the exhaust don't seem to have hurt reliability and do improve the top speed. Rather than rehash (and retype) everything I've done check out that thread. I also posted pics and instructions on porting the cylinder.

What is your top speed now? In good condition it should do 25-30 mph. With some work you can reliably add 5 or a little more mph to that.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

thanks for the info a lot of good material in your post kiethw. Not really interested in selling it I like the bike to much. I just wanna get a little more power out of it

Its got an sb50p engine in it stock top speed is about 33 or 34 with good top end but to get it going you have to do the flintstone shuffle but after drilling a baffle on it that took care of the low end a little still isnt an aero or elite dio and I dont think it ever will be but its not bad.I haven't adjusted the carb out after I drilled the exaust waiting for the weather to warm up a little so the top end lost a little but I think it just needs to be running a little richer
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I would mod for premix on a ported engine, higher RPM increases oil demand beyond what the conservative fixed spree/SB injector pumps out.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

are you guys are mixing at 32 to 1 and is there an easy formula I can use at the gas station so I can just keep a bottle of oil in my storage or will I need to just mix in a gas can?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Most mix in tank, if your keeping the stock injector run 50:1. You might need to upjet as the oil will lean it out some.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

do you mean if I keep the stock oil injector still feeding the carb then mix 50 to 1 or if i disable the injector mix 50 to one and does anybody know where I can get a carb kit or engine gaskets for this thing or if any of the other scoots carb kits or engine gasket kits are similar enough to where I can atleast get some of the gaskets for it and thanks again
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If you dont want to mess with modding the injector into a plug, run 50:1 in the tank. If you grind the teeth off the injector pump and cap the pump nipples and intake mani nipple run 32:1.

Be advised this WILL require rejetting of the carburetor or the engine WILL blow. Local honda motorcycle/dirt bike dealer should have gaskets and carb parts. If not googling honda scooter parts turns up several dealers that do.
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

If I just mill the head and not port it out would I have to run pre mix and up jet
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Most likely not. It's always a good idea to check the spark plug after any modification to see how it's burning.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

Thanks you guys rule
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

remember if you can't change the gear ratio you pnly build torque which will kill the engine.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

maddog wrote:remember if you can't change the gear ratio you pnly build torque which will kill the engine.
You can change the gearing and blown motors are from lean mixtures and too little oil.