HowTo: Splitting Crank Case AND NOW: Reassembly

The home of the FAQs and all the things you need to know to fix your Spree / Elite, outside the service manuals

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

HowTo: Splitting Crank Case AND NOW: Reassembly

Post by dem0nk1d »

Tools Need

2 Old Head Bolts
2 Old Variator
1 Steering Wheel Puller
1 Rubber / Plastic hammer to help break the crankcase seal

Parts minus a the rubber/plastic hammer

--/ Bolt everything up like the following.---/---------------------
Once you put some tension on the puller it doesn't hurt to tap the case with the hammer. This will help to break the seal

Start cranking steering wheel puller bolt, you'll know it's pulling as you'll hear a slight knocking sound

Now just remove the side flywheel side of the case

:thumbsup: Done, now go drink moar!!! beer!!! :rock:

This is the best method i've found to work. I've hear other methods, but have failed. I hope this will help plenty of the noobs and the old guys too. Work smarter and not harder. =) I'm still working on a method to get the crank pressed out with some kind of Macgyver tool. More to come.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
Wheelman-111

Re: HowTo: Splitting & Reassembling Crank Case

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Great job, Kid!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Wheelman-111

Re: HowTo: Splitting Crank Case AND NOW: Reassembly

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

My Flash IV Begins thread in Scooter Builds depicts my new Tusk crank assembly tool from eBay. As of this writing, there were several sources around the US offering this tool for around $60 - some with shipping and some not, so shop around. Here's one example.
E4TuskTool1.jpg
E4TuskTool1.jpg (208.8 KiB) Viewed 9898 times
The chromey looking nut nearer the flywheel is part of the tool. The black nut already on the crank end is one of 2. The smaller nut fits the alternator side of the crank
E4TuskTool2.jpg
E4TuskTool2.jpg (195.96 KiB) Viewed 9896 times
The long threaded stud with the cylinder then gets threaded onto the chromey nut, which traps the black nut. Now the big cylinder affair slides onto the bolt and the pin on the smaller cylinder engages a notch in the bigger one.
E4TuskTool3.jpg
E4TuskTool3.jpg (220.51 KiB) Viewed 9897 times
Now by tightening the pressure nut over on the right, there is a means to pull the crankshaft into its case bearing without hammering the opposite end of the crankshaft. We've seen how that can cause the crank to wander out of true. I'll post again when I get ready for Final Flash Four assembly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH