Another Way to Hold a Pulley

The home of the FAQs and all the things you need to know to fix your Spree / Elite, outside the service manuals

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Wheelman-111

Another Way to Hold a Pulley

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I purchased this clutch holder tool from Rocky Mountain for about $25 shipped.
One side features a pair of jaws that jut out at a right angle from an elongated Vise-Grip affair. It engages the teeth of the drive face effectively although imperfectly. I plan to notch the jaws for a litle better grip.
You can see from the pic above the round dowels that protrude toward the "camera". Perfect for holding the alternator flywheel or the clutch:
Just one precaution: Don't try to "clamp" the tool onto the work. Instead, loosen it to just close and then use the Vise-Grip knurled knob to snug it down. It only needs to be tight enough to hold, not crush the held item. It's a lot less trouble than pulling out an impact gun, compressor. And a lot easier to apply than the HF Chain Holder Tool I used before.
YMMV, but works great for me!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Wheelman-111

Modifying the Tusk Clutch Holder for the Outer Drive Face Pu

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The square sides of the right-angle jaws don't hold the outer pulley teeth particularly well as delivered. Broke out Trusty Roto-Zip with a cutting wheel to make a nifty new notch.
Now engages positively without needing much clamping force.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH