What Fits My Aero?

The home of the FAQs and all the things you need to know to fix your Spree / Elite, outside the service manuals

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Wheelman-111

What Fits My Aero?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The AF05E engines found on '86 and '87 Aeros and '87-'93 Elites have a lot in common with the later AF16E blocks adorning '94-later Elites.

Basically everything inside the belt case can swap freely. Rear pulleys, belts and Clutches fit without issues. The later Elites have much lighter pivot arms and correspondingly lighter grab springs. Variators will swap, provided the correctly sized boss matches the 12mm 05 crank and the 14mm 16 item.

Larger variators like the Ruckus and Met will fit, and there is evidently less (or no?) case grinding needed around the starter housing to adapt them compared to the 16s. To take full advantage of a larger variator, the belt would need to be a couple cm. longer. Polini makes one for some Derbi/Suzuki 248-006. This improves take-off considerably as it runs closer to the rims of the rear pulley. However I have not read a report of successful installation of a full ZX transmission installation on an 05 to date. Issues like clearance for the longer boss on the shorter splined section of the 05 crankshaft will need to be sorted.

'94-later Elite carbs fit, but jetting may need to be addressed. Stock on Aero was 82 or 85, depending on market. Elite SR ran with a 78, way too lean for the Aero. The case intake port is wider on the 05 block than on the 16, which leaves a 2mm gap to the inside if you mount an aftermarket intake manifold like the OKO CT. However the bolt pattern is the same, and a plate can be carved from thin stock to address the gap. Stock '88-'93 intakes, with their larger 3-petal reeds, fit and move the carb away from the shock, permitting a pod filter.

Owners of '85 Aeros will note that their 2-bolt intakes won't permit this basic mod. Kickstart covers from the later Aeros can be fitted, as long as the outer pulley is also replaced with one from a later model. Also note that the oil pump has no throttle control. It's not known how/if the later pump can be adapted with the appropriate cable. Lastly, the tank fiting for the petcock is smaller than the later models.

RIMS: Later Elite and Metropolitan wheels fit at both front and rear if the larger 95mm Elite brake panel is used. The bigger brake, tubeless design and wider 2.15 rims (Met) are all worthwhile upgrades particularly if mounting 90/90 tires, which also fit. The wider tire will lightly kiss the front fender at full bump unless the fender is shimmed out.

Some brands of 3.50 tires fit at the rear, some don't. Someone posted he ran a Kenda without issues. Others have stated they needed to shave the cases. I guess you really have to want that fat donut...

Bore Kits: Polini and Malossi both made a 47mm cylinder for AF05s. 65cc results from the shorter crank stroke of 37.4mm. VT Cycles sold a Taiwanese 46mm cylinder for 63cc. Nobody has ever posted installation and results AFAIK. Stud spacing won't allow using AF16 bore kits. The 05 kits are increasingly hard to find. If you get one, you must consider...

Gears: Malossi part number 67-6458 primaries make the stock 11:1 into 7.83:1, which is pretty tall, even for a fully-kitted 05. The 1987-only SE50 did come with 10:1s, probably a better ratio overall. However even with those gears and a big tire, horsepower can exceed gearing, with an over-rev situation leading to fried top ends on long WOT runs. It's not a problem unless you lack the self-control to back off when speeds reach 50. Yeah, that'll happen... :naughty:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Wheelman-111

Re: What Fits My Aero?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Researching aftermarket belts. For Big Power, Kevlar are good! :)

Interesting tid-bit: The Met belt from Gates is listed as 660 x 18mm x 28 degrees.
The Ruckus uses good ol' 30-degree angle. This would seem to imply that variators designed for the Met might not be ideal for our Aeros and Elites due to different rear pulley angles as well.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Wheelman-111

This Just In

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

From EliteGuy50:
I don't know why Gates sets it up that way because the parts are the same in the met and ruckus, the belt length is different on the Honda OEM setup. The Met 2 vari is different than the met 1. The driven pullies are the same between Met 1 and Ruckus also.
Weird and inscrutable Honda-san, in cahoots with the Gates Belts people, creates a mystery.
Wheelman-111