How to add kickstart to an 84/85 Honda Spree

The home of the FAQs and all the things you need to know to fix your Spree / Elite, outside the service manuals

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

How to add kickstart to an 84/85 Honda Spree

Post by Dac »

I would like to say thanks to 'CharlotteSpreeRider' for making this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I successfully added kickstart to my 1985 Honda Spree today. It's a fairly simple process and took me about an hour.

The two bolts labeled '0' are 6x25 (the shortest ones), the one labeled '1' is the only one with a funny bushing-like thing on it, it's the one that fits into the hole in the fender/airbox. The one labeled '2' is 6x32, the one labeled '3' is 6x50 and the one labeled '4' is 6x55. You pull all of those out, and the cover pops right off. Then put a bolt back into the hole labeled '4', else all your transmission oil will leak out all over the ground. That would suck.

Take that nut off and the washer behind it. It's not on super tight, but I had to do it this way.

There's the 84/85 version on the right and the 86/87 version I got from uspmale on the left (thanks again!).

Put the kickstart version on just like the old one was. The only difference is the notches in the middle.

This is what the inside cover looks like when it is properly set up. This was the most difficult part. The spring is VERY strong, and it is quite tricky to get the shaft with the gear (left side of picture) all the way in so you can get the circlip on the outside of the cover, while making sure the driven gear (right side of picture) is properly set up. I imagine you could be severely injured screwing around with this thing. Try to keep the grease off of your hands so things don't slip around too much. Do make sure the gears are greased adequately though.

Bolt the side cover on. You're supposed to use a gasket (I did). Just make sure everything lines up the way it did when you took the cover off. Mine started on the first kick.

Good luck!

-aseigler
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.