[Picture Guide] How to Clean your Carburetor. {easy}

The home of the FAQs and all the things you need to know to fix your Spree / Elite, outside the service manuals

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

[Picture Guide] How to Clean your Carburetor. {easy}

Post by Dac »

Most all Spree / Elite problems can be tracked back to the carburetor.
In this guide i will be using a 92 honda elite carb. But let it be know that all honda carb.s are very close to the same. As you can tell, i did not show how to remove the carb from your bike. If you dont know how to remove the carb. Follow steps 1-7 on This guide. When working with carb cleaner you need to protect your eyes and hands. When spraying in the holes it is know for it to spray backwards right in your face. If you are not wearing protective eye wear, this could end badly.
Lets get started...

First off, What all you will need.
You will need, A carb. , a flat head screwdriver , a broad head Phillips screwdriver, a pencil, a fresh can of "Carburetor cleaner" And a clean work area.

Now, Lets move right on into taking it apart. Lets start by taking off the ByStarter.
Remove the two screws shown, and just pull it right up and out of there.

Now, remove the screws on front. Place them off to the side were you will know what goes were when you are done.

Now, Its time to remove the bowl.
You remove the bowl by removing the two screws shown in the first box. Now remove the screw shown in the second box. Now lift out the float, But be careful, as you can see by the last box there is more then just the float that lifts out.

Now, remove the jet. Flat head screw driver will take it right out.

Now, take a pencil and place it in though the top of the carb. Place the end of it on the tube, now apply some pressure and the tube will slide out the bottom.
[Note- i used an awl. This is bad. you should never use something metal. Use something wood or plastic.]

Now, spray carb cleaner everywhere in the carb. Get all the dirt out you can. Spray carb cleaner in all the tubes and all the openings you can see.
Carb cleaner drys on its own. So don't attempt to wipe it off because you will just spread dirt inside it. Now spray the top part, the bowl, the jet, Even the float. Make sure it is clean!
Now keep on spraying it all down. Letting it dry, then repeating. blow it out with compressed air. If its not clean you are going to have problems later on. So make sure it is clean.

Assuming that it is all clean, you can start to put it back together. No new parts are needed or anything. Just put it back together with all the same stuff. But if you do have some stripped screws replace them. I did my best to make this as simple as possible. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. If you spot any errors or want me to add some thing tell me here.
Last edited by Dac on Fri May 30, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Side Notes.

the jet and the main tube should be removed each time you clean it. You have to check the holes in the main tube to make sure they are clear, and removing it is the only way. You just unscrew the jet, dump out the tube and make sure all the little holes down the side are clear.
(Thanks CharlotteSpreeRider)

Do NOT try to remove the idle jet. Too many people have broken them and ruined a carb just because they didn't know any better.
(thanks again CharlotteSpreeRider)

DONT POKE JETS WITH METAL! I figured i'd get it really clean if i used single wire strands and needles. Ended up trashing it. carb cleaner and compressed air only. Nice write up bud. great addition to the how to archive.
(thanks strapped9)
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Honda Elite SA50 Carb. (88-01)