Suzuki

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Suzuki

Post by Jim »

Hey noiseguy this is directed at you, but anyone who knows answer too.

Im finally movin on up *yay me* to an 82 Suzuki GS450ES. Now what im asking is do you know if they are any good? how easy to find parts? Fall apart fast? I dont really know why im asking you, but you seem like you know what your talking about when it comes to motorcycles, thought you would have a better idea than me.

All I know is that its nooby friendly, it has "gear indicator" lights telling me what gear its in at all times. Which i think is pretty nifty.

EDIT: my bad its an '83 not an '82
Last edited by Jim on Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

I wish my CBR had a gear indicator. I'm always looking for 7th. :D I've only had Hondas...can't comment on others but being Japanese, the reliability can't be bad.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'm really partial to Honda's, in terms of durability and cost/availability of parts. The GS450ES is a vertical twin, right? Let me ask around and get back to you. Any vertical twin would be a good first bike.

Milage? Compression? Tires? Brakes? Stable/wobbly? Shocks? Price?
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

15k good tires and brakes, hes had the same mechanic for 10+ years so i assume its well taken care of, its in pretty d*** flawless condition considering its age. I havent driven it around so donno about wobbly or not. hes asking 1200 for it.

EDIT: He wanted 1500 first but he likes me so he lowered it.

NEW EDIT: Lowered to 1000 with smooth talking, new chain was added this season, pristine tank interrior, only thing that has ever touched the ground are the tires.
Last edited by Jim on Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

http://m.1asphost.com/SpreeRepairing/Untitled-1.htm

thats the bike, i think it looks good considering its age. Also check out those gear indicator pics, now thats nifty.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Looks decent. I'm still waiting to hear back from some guys on these. This is an '83 GS450E. Bodywork is a forerunner of the early fully-faired "race replicas." The shift indicator is neat.

My 2 cents. $1500 was an high price for a 20+ y/o 450cc bike. $1000 is in the ballpark, but that's still a retail price. Trade in on this bike is $565, retail is $960. You could argue that the low milage and good mechanical condition warrants a higher price, but the rest of the bike I can't assess from here. For $1500 you could buy a nice Honda 900 of that vintage. While I know you don't want a larger bike, they are easier to sell, thus worth more. I'm guessing that that machine is worth $500 - $800, heavily dependant on mechanical condition. A really pristine example might garner $1000 to the right guy; I can tell from the pics this isn't a pristine bike.

I can't tell if the paint is original. If it's not that's a price reducer unless the custom paint is really sharp. There is chipping on the front fender, fork legs, and fairing. This would cost a few hundred to get resprayed. Looks like the seat is in good condition. Do you know how the bike was stored? It should have stored indoors, and have relatively rust-free fasteners.

Have you driven it yet?

I would pay a mechanic to inspect the bike before purchase and after price negotiation, as a condition of purchase. That should run about $100. For close to $1000, it should need nothing. Tires will run about $200 if the shop mounts them and you install, shock can run from $100 - $250 depending on quality, you install. Brakes can cost $200-400 to go through yourself. This nickle-and-dime stuff adds up, which is why initial condition is so important.

Here's some more info. There are a ton of sites offering advice on inspecting used bikes:

http://www.dansmc.com/troubleshooting.htm

I'll let you know more if I hear anything.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Here you go. The last comment is sort of my take: smaller bikes cost as much to fix as larger ones, but have a lower overall value in terms of price. Both these guys own(ed) cycle shops. The authors tend to prefer larger bikes.

-------------------
I purchased a used 77 GS450T (same engine) in Queensland, Australia in November of 89. I put 22,000 kilometers on it in four months and then sold it in good running order for $125 AUS more than I paid for it.

Great bike: I had a 100LBS. of soft luggage on it 90% of the time. It will go down the road with a 275LBS load at 60 MPH (100KPH) all month. It will do 100 MPH with the same load for short periods, but this is not being nice to it. I had to adjust the valves once & change the oil several times. In sort it is a simple brick * if you live within its limits.

Make sure it has compression before you buy it. Keep the valves & cam chain tension adjusted. Change the oil at 3,000 mile intervals. Cam chain rattles, chopped up electrical system, or no compression are reasons not to buy it.

Hope I answered your question.
--------------------------------------------------
A good bike I guess,it has been around for a long while.

There are better choices unless he just wants a 450cc bike. You can buy a larger bike for nearly the same money. Common choice would be a Suzuki 850 4 cyl shaft drive bike. I have seen these for sale at $800 and many have bags and a windshield.

Little bikes really suffer for highway cruising (bike for going to work) or carrying double or if the rider is heavy. Same way smaller fours are common from the same era 550,650,750,from Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,or Yamaha.

If the GS-450 is from a known person,like a friend,or is in really good shape,or is really cheap,I would get it. I have seen these need the same things the big bikes do,alternator charging problems,etc and the cost to fix is as high,but you only have a 450 when you get done.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Looks very nice, i would say you could lower the price. As noiseguy said. "Its a little much for a 20+ y/o bike"
Last edited by Tippmann98 on Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The other thing to remember is that it's winter. The good deals are had when snow is on the ground, or in your case when it's 40F and raining everyday.

If want to pay a premium price for a bike, buy it in spring, and let the seller store it for you over the winter.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

well, being my only mode of transportation, i gotta have one now :) and ride it through the winter
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

Well I bought it today, and its in better shape than I originally thought it would be! I drove it around for 3 hours until it started to rain. Then I got scared (since it was my first time driving a "real" bike) and drove home.f

Top speed I've hit so far: 50 and I havent even touched 5th or 6th.

In my opinion its very worth the money I paid, I'm already in love.
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Cool, let us know how it goes!
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Nice, i remember when a friend let me drive his Honda Bahama. Oh man, it was nice compared to the spree. It is still 50cc but its a 4 speed(i think it was 4). But driving that at 65 down my 25 MPH street was awsome. I am glad there were no cops. But i just had to see what it could do, and oh man... it did do it. Many congrats on your new buy, tell us all about it. Try to find a deserted road :wink:
Nice buy,
Tippmann98
Honda Bahama - (copy n paste) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW[/url]
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

:( there are NO deserted roads out here... unless i travel to some BFE city
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree