noob needs help deciding to buy

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

ForeverTwoWheels
Noob
Noob

noob needs help deciding to buy

Post by ForeverTwoWheels »

I'm new to spree/elite and could use your infinite wisdom please!

First, I'm pretty sure up to '97 the motor is good. And by good I mean a good platform for performance. But I seem to remember that motor run starting in '84, which would mean the '83 I'm looking at barely missed the run. Am I correct? Or even in the ballpark?

Next, how do you identify different motors? Are there any obvious signs to look for in pictures? What is an "S" model?

Finally, is there a way to tell from pictures if it's a 50cc or an 80cc if the owner doesn't know? Does a 50cc have more easily available aftermarket parts than an 80cc?

Thank you so much for your help. These are probably the dumbest questions ever, so thank you for schooling a NOOB!

- Lance

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 713734779/
bonesv

Re: noob needs help deciding to buy

Post by bonesv »

That one on FB is a Spree 50cc's and not good for a starting platform to modify a hot rod scooter. You need a honda 2 stroke starting in 1994 and up to 2001 Elite SA50 model or get a small motorcycle 90cc's or 125cc's to learn on. This forum is predominantly for 2 stroke scooters of 50cc's stock and modified up to 120cc's. Look here for some ideas..... https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/honda-scooters/ also look at the very top section on this next link for more help once you acquire a Honda scooter.... http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Alot to unpack here…the Spree began in 84’ so theres no such thing as an 83’, but thats beside the point. This is a pile of parts and what I call “roached”. This would actually be a decent buy for $150 if you were restoring a better Spree and needed some bits n bobs to finish it. Restoring THIS unit would be more money/trouble than its worth. Buy only if you need spare parts.

If you want performance and 49cc is needed to skirt local license/insurance laws, the Spree is not the one to get. Its great for zipping around town at 25-30mph. Fun factor is there but performance upgrades are not. Buy one for your kids, girlfriend or grandmother.

I wont turn this into a blog and list 20+ scooters to get that are easily upgradeable but I will say that the “good” ones (imo) arent cheap. The best ones are older 2-stroke’s that are no longer in production. These are getting more scarce by the minute and prices keep going up on them. If youre lucky, you’ll find one in the $600-$700 range but in my area Im lucky if one pops up for $1000.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I agree with both previous posters...SKIP the Spree.
To find a GOOD candidate scooter for modification, you'll need to be vigilant in watching the market.
While the Elite 50 with AF16 engine is the focus here, there are others that can be equally considered.
Personally, I like the Aero 50's for their performance in stock form, but are also open to mods.
I suggest you consider others like the Yamaha Jog and Zuma. Price will be higher in most cases.
Good luck with your adventure...motor
Attachments
aero.jpg
aero.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
Jog 006.JPG
Jog 006.JPG (168.99 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"