little problem today

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

stucinthe80z
Spree
Spree

little problem today

Post by stucinthe80z »

i rode my elite to my nepews house today .and as i was pulling away from the stop sighn i heard a terible noise . i shut the scooter off and rolled to a stop. i will not bore you about how a got the scoot home .but when a took the side cover off .i was suprised to see the retainer nut came off of the variater. i was bummed . it took me about a hour to clean the spline to get it back together . feel very lucky i did not have to change the crank. :geekdance:
185 miles in two weeks
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: little problem today

Post by martynkim »

stucinthe80z wrote:i rode my elite to my nepews house today .and as i was pulling away from the stop sighn i heard a terible noise . i shut the scooter off and rolled to a stop. i will not bore you about how a got the scoot home .but when a took the side cover off .i was suprised to see the retainer nut came off of the variater. i was bummed . it took me about a hour to clean the spline to get it back together . feel very lucky i did not have to change the crank. :geekdance:
185 miles in two weeks

Loctite?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It is frightfully easy to misalign the outer pulley. If the pulley splines don't engage with those on the crank, the pulley butts up short of its correct location. Ifou tighten the nut that way there is a risk of crushing the crank splines into so much spaghetti. Fortunately you didn't Gorilla it too tight.

To prevent:

ALWAYS spread the rear pulleys and use something to hold them apart. (I use a short 3/8" socket extension...) That way you can create some slack in the loop of belt that goes to the front pulley. With that, you can manually verify that the pulley is engaging the splines and seated ALL THE WAY down to the crank shoulder before hand-tightening the crank-end nut. Lock the pulley with your favorite retaining device before applying the correct torque to the nut. I've never had it come off when doing it this way. The belt tension keeps the nut from backing out.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Sorry to hear that, I always line everything up before tightening the nut, using a torque wrench to the torque stated in the manual.
I hope all is well now with your scoot.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
stucinthe80z
Spree
Spree

Post by stucinthe80z »

not a problem i bought a used scooter they are as is
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

hope all is well.
185 miles in a couple of weeks, is quite a bit of riding; especially if it's on a scoot. :) :mrgreen: