anybody else on here into bicycles and fixing them up ?

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

anybody else on here into bicycles and fixing them up ?

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

just curious to see if there is anybody else on here that is into bicycles and if theres anybody else that fixes them up or builds them up on here, im mainly a bmx rider and have been riding bmx for 8 years but i ride road and downhill too, heres some pics of ones ive done.........
Last edited by uk-visionsa50 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good toolkit is a hammer and a condom. If the hammer doesn't fix it, Use the condom to f**k it!
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Re: anybody else on here into bicycles and fixing them up ?

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

some pics of my latest bmx if anyones interested.
2013 diamondback grind with 25 tooth front sprocket and 9 tooth rear cassette. for anyone who doesnt know theyre just the really small "cogs" as i get people calling them. brakeless and scary as * to ride.
Last edited by uk-visionsa50 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A good toolkit is a hammer and a condom. If the hammer doesn't fix it, Use the condom to f**k it!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Calling uk :
Oy, do me right, an tell the tale of the sprocket selection of your X'r
With those tires, do you ride it dirt, street, or both ?
No brakes seems to be catching on here, Nashville, Tennessee, in particular with those eco-minded, fixed-gear, road-bikers
we call hipsters.
A common thing, no brakes, in the speedway racing scene regarding motorbikes.
I'm not hip to the bicycle current trends too much.
Had my day in the '80's raising a son who took to BMX for a bit when only 5 & 6 years old.
I refurbished many bicycles including 10-speeds, BMX, balloon-tire cruisers, and Schwinn Sting-Rays.
This kept me in pocket change and woodbines, eh....made a hobby of it for about 4years.
Of course, as a child, I had a few. BMX did not exist. It wasn't common to see any bike with a deraileur gearing.
I am curious as to the difference between the small sprocket and the large.
I mean to say, with the ratio 3:1 (roughly)of your current set-up, what's the difference in having a 36 tooth front with a 12 tooth rear and still having the same 3:1 ratio ?
Thanx for any reply you can offer. I do enjoy bicycles and welcome schooling on the matter.... :urban:
Like your bikes...this thread is just for this purpose. Seems not so many people come here for the chit-chat though.
and always.......Rock-on........... :urban:

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I fixed up bikes in secondary school and college. Built choppers, high bikes, window displays, and regular restorations... cash business, all good. No pics tho.

I still have a hard time with the concept of paying cash for a new or used department store bike, when so many are on the curb. Both my kids ride bikes pulled off the curb and fixed (they help.) It's not an affordability issue at this point, it's just that I hate to see waste. Also fix the neighborhoods kids bikes when they stop by... it's amazing to me to see how poorly maintained these things are.

On gearing. The point of the small front sprocket is to increase ground clearance. The low gearing's meant for ease of pulling up the front wheel (wheelie). Bike's set up for park riding... maybe flatland... but you need to add some pegs.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

for me its a case of I cant ride bmx with brakes, don't know why I never have and I doubt I ever will, on a bmx I just hate them, with regards to gearing and the smaller sprockets, the way the smaller sprockets work is the less teeth they have the less you have to pedal so with 25t front and 9t rear its always going to be the same as you said 36t front and 14-18t rear, the only real difference ive ever noticed is I don't bend them everytime I go down a ramp, that's the main reason I have the smaller sprockets on my bmx`s anyway, otherwise im happy enough to ride around with large sprockets, I ride street,dirt and park on bmx, wouldn't say im the best but when I get time off work etc its just a case of chuck the bikes in the boot of my car and go find somewhere good to ride then move on when we get bored. I ride downhill mtb mainly but I have been known to chuck the odd bmx down the trail when Im in one of those really bad moods and I just want to smash up a cheap bike to get my anger out on something. I fix up bikes whenever I can and when a bike cant be fixed it gets stripped for the spares and the frame given to the scrap man then when I get a bike in that needs a part I always have the part needed, although my collection of parts is starting to get a little out of hand.
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

also when it comes to the trends with bikes I don't really care for em, I ride a bike set up to the way I like it not the way EVERYONE ELSE likes it, my bike, im the one riding it, not them, hate fixed gear bikes and brakeless mtbs, I have to have brakes on my mountain bikes but my bmx bikes I cant have brakes. don't know why. if someone tells me I should do this to the bike or do that to the bike I politely show them my middle finger and tell them to go f themselves.
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

this is my pub/pop to the shop bike now
Last edited by uk-visionsa50 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redvisionmonster
BMX
BMX

Post by redvisionmonster »

ive seen you bloody ride and your a lunatic !! saw you over Cannock chase last Saturday on that little blue bmx of yours, especially loved that little accident you had. the one where you came flying down follow the dog, over the bridge section, how is the bike after that ? by the looks of it you came off worse lol good job you were wearing that helmet ! text me and well sort out a big group ride with the Walsall cycle group lads, always a laugh with them lot and im sure itll be even more of a laugh with you around !
current scooters/bikes :-
1992 honda sa50-m vision (elite) - occasional rider/project
2000 suzuki AN 650 AK7 BURGMAN - daily ride
1999 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja ZX600-G2 - weekend thing
2005 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa - something to annoy the girlfriend
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

yeah that bmx..............erm...................kinda didn't survive. chucked it in the car in 5 pieces then got the Raleigh out, that survived. going back down tomorrow on the Raleigh and taking my gt tour to thrash. think theres a few of us riding to Birmingham city centre afterwards, if were not going to the chase were just going to do a ride to city centre, if we do that there will be like 20 of us on the cheapest bikes we could find lol