Insurance on a Moped in Michigan?

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Insurance on a Moped in Michigan?

Post by Pancake Sauce »

I recently purchased a beautiful, Monza red '09 Honda Metropolitan and will be visiting the SoS tomorrow to complete the title change-over and get the registration sticker for it. I paid a lot for it and would like to protect my investment. I know a moped has its own insurance that comes with the registration sticker but I don't know if that includes any restitution for theft or vandalism. My city isn't too awfully atrocious, however, I would like to know if anybody here has purchased additional coverage (mainly theft + vandalism) on their moped-registered vehicles and what type of annual fee I would expect to pay for such insurance.

It already has above-average security features integrated into it. Not only does it have the standard locking steering column, but also has a lever under the locking seat that locks the center stand down so it cant be taken off the center stand. I also plan either getting a high decibel motion-sensor alarm for further tamper-proofing or a GPS tracker to direct police to a thieve's den that holds my moped (haven't researched yet, and price dependent), in addition to always storing it underneath a cover to ensure that any passer-by thieves wouldn't know what they would be attempting to steal.

I would prefer to avoid lugging around giant chains and padlocks due to the fact that my city isn't terrible with theft, and the most vulnerable places I would take it to don't have a place to lock it up anyway. My ultimate goal would be to insure it for vandalism and install a GPS tracker in case of theft. Any tips/experiences/tricks/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
craigslist metro 1.jpg
craigslist metro 1.jpg (43.14 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
craigslist metro 2.jpg
craigslist metro 2.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Dust-it
BMX
BMX

Re: Insurance on a Moped in Michigan?

Post by Dust-it »

Don't know your Mi. motorcycle insurance requirements but call an insurance agent tell them you want to insure a small motorcycle . I know Progressive and many others cover motorcycles . A large amount of agents have no idea what the difference is between a MoPed , Scooter or a Motorcycle . And by the way yours would be a scooter to the two wheel world.
Tell them the cc ,make , and model . You will be able to get the coverage for the amount of loss that gives you peace of mind. Enjoy it the snow will be gone again soon !!!!
Mr.T
Noob
Noob

Re: Insurance on a Moped in Michigan?

Post by Mr.T »

I just recently got insure for my 1997 Honda Elite. $75 for the whole year.