What's a good, small ,lightweight highway scooter?

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi Forum.
What's a good, small ,lightweight highway scooter? something like my elite S 50 in size.
I just need to go a few exits on the highway. but can't use my spreedio or elite S 50. there not legal.
I can't think of one, other than a aero 125, but can't find a good one. or elite 150, but it's too big.
Scooter must be small like the elite 50, lightweight under 200lbs, and have a top speed of at least 65mph.
It doesn't matter what brand.
Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: What's a good, small ,lightweight highway scooter?

Post by LMH »

Nothing you will find will be in that criteria. In most states youre required to be 250cc and licensed and insured to be on highways and bi ways.Too small of a bike and you will be blown sideways into another lane or car if youre too light and small. Go for a Yamaha Vino or Zuma 125, theyre lighter of the "bigger" scooters with out going Maxi.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

LMH is spot-on. Even the Zuma 50 is much heavier than our Honda smokers - almost 200 pounds. Same goes for the Aprilia and Kymco 50 cc versions. For some reason those manufacturers lost sight of how much fun it is to ride a machine that weighs considerably less than the rider. The Nimbleness is the reason I have so much fun riding Flash.

I disagree that the weight of the bike makes it more unstable. You do have to steer. I got blown around on my 500-pound Sportster too - you must anticipate the wind around 18-wheelers, and I've never had an issue riding Deepinnaharta Freeway. Same goes for my pedal-powered 2-wheelers, at 20 pounds frame weight.

Most of the 150s can hit 65 or more, but they don't accelerate - they just "gather speed" - with absolutely NOTHING in reserve if you have to match speed for merging. Quite a few of our readers have modded Elites and Sprees capable of better speed and substantially quicker getting there too. Some Interstates post a cc minimum, but most roads just require the speed without any specified displacement. For Health and Safety reasons, I'll take Flash over a PCX 150.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I have a prime example of too light being blown around. I own both the KLR250 and KLR650, one can safely maintain a lane on the highway at 60mph + and the other can not. I nearly ran off the side of the highway trying to take a bend and being passed on the left by a New England semi on 44 last year and that was the last time the 250 saw the highway. Its since been resprocketed to 13/46 from 17/40s for trail service and around town only. Im not a novice rider either. For the most part pretty fearless but when you almost die just trying to make it to point A or B you realize its not worth your life.
A lot has to do with area of resistance of the bike but in my example there is not much different minus the 150 lbs difference from larger diameter tubing on frame and engine size.
Ive had my multitude of elites, zx50s, Aprilia Sr50s, Piaggio LT50, Zuma 50s, Vino 125, Genuine rattler 110, Madame maxxi 112cc, and the 97 WC1 NE powered whizzer have all been on the highway for top speed runs but I dare say any of them are acceptable for it. Even cars passing by are scary.
I believe the available power is what helps pull you out of the vortex as well. The madame maxxi with the 112cc swap would hold 60 with no problem but when passed it would pull into the vortex and lose speed trying to maintain a straight line.
motormike

Post by motormike »

ped wrote:Hi Forum.

^^...this is a fine example of "oxymoron"... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi forum.
thanks everyone for the info on the scooters, and great advice.
I'm not sure what to get yet.
I will be riding on a 55mph limit highway heavily enforced. and only going a few exits.
It will save me time. instead of going the long way through the city traffic and lights.
So far I found a 1987 Honda elite 150
a kymco 200 S
a vino 125.
I think the vino is the lightest in weight.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

The kymco will do highway speeds no problem and is probably only a 163cc or so. But theyre easy to drive. Im assuming its a like 200?
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

motormike wrote:
ped wrote:Hi Forum.

^^...this is a fine example of "oxymoron"... :wink:
Hi MM.
Thanks for agreeing with my oxymoron, must have heard or read it somewhere.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

LoveMyHonda wrote:The kymco will do highway speeds no problem and is probably only a 163cc or so. But theyre easy to drive. Im assuming its a like 200?
thanks LMH.
I think the kymco it's a 163cc, but they call it a 200 S.
The 1987 elite 150 is the low style with glove box. I don't know the top speed?
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

LMH is spot-on. Even the Zuma 50 is much heavier than our Honda smokers - almost 200 pounds. Same goes for the Aprilia and Kymco 50 cc versions. For some reason those manufacturers lost sight of how much fun it is to ride a machine that weighs considerably less than the rider. The Nimbleness is the reason I have so much fun riding Flash.

I disagree that the weight of the bike makes it more unstable. You do have to steer. I got blown around on my 500-pound Sportster too - you must anticipate the wind around 18-wheelers, and I've never had an issue riding Deepinnaharta Freeway. Same goes for my pedal-powered 2-wheelers, at 20 pounds frame weight.

Most of the 150s can hit 65 or more, but they don't accelerate - they just "gather speed" - with absolutely NOTHING in reserve if you have to match speed for merging. Quite a few of our readers have modded Elites and Sprees capable of better speed and substantially quicker getting there too. Some Interstates post a cc minimum, but most roads just require the speed without any specified displacement. For Health and Safety reasons, I'll take Flash over a PCX 150.
Hi wheelman.
I agree to disagree that the weight of the bike makes it more unstable. I too got blown away with a 540lbs ZRX 1100.
In my state your can ride a 80cc Honda as long as it keeps a 45-50mph minimum speed. depending on post. but most traffic flows at 60+mph.
A lot of times the GF picks me up at work for going out to dinner and I needed something I can throw in the trunk.
I'm really liking the 1987 Honda elite 150, but I think Honda made that low style for one year. and there's not much you can do for speed?
I have other scooters ,but they weights over 400+ pounds.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

For "throwing in the trunk", you do know most of 'em will leak Precious Scooterly Fluids all over the white carpeting in the Camry trunk, right? For carrying upstairs (or trunk stowage) it's hard to find anything that weighs even close to 90-140 pounds like ours. Check the specs on the Zuma, even. Pfft! 200 pounds?!!

Instability has more to do with steering angle, rake & trail, and aerodynamics than weight. I don't seem to have any trouble staying in my lane on Flash, but the geometry is stock. If you can't, Copy-cat manufacturers, shortened forks or stretched frames might have something to do with it. Nobody has the geometry sorted out better than Honda-san. Tracks like a freight train at any speed except zero.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi wheelman.
I was thinking about the fluids. and may go with a air cooled motor, keep low fuel in it.
The people 150 is air cooled, about 200 pounds, and highway legal.
Unfortunately, I can not use my 94 Elite SR 50 on the highway in my state. Although it is fast enough.