Buying first motorcycle!

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

bfowler
Elite
Elite

Buying first motorcycle!

Post by bfowler »

Hey guys. Thinking about buying a motorcycle sometime within the upcoming couple of months and so I wanna start looking through Craigslist. Just had a couple of questions and I know there are a lot of long time riders here. First of all, I'm going to be getting a sport bike and am debating between the Kawasaki Ninja 300 or the Yamaha R6 (600cc). I've taken the MSF course and I have my license but I'm still on the fence about getting a 600cc to start with. I've read a lot about it and I think I'm not a complete beginner since I've been riding scooters and I have taken the class, but I am by no means a seasoned rider. Thus, I can't decide if I should start with the 300 and then trade up or just go for the 600 (mainly because starting with the 300 means I would probably lose $1000+ after trade in). Additionally, should I search for one on Craigslist or should I buy it from the dealer? Sometimes it seems that buying off Craigslist and saving a few dollars isn't worth the risk of buying a possibly bad bike. What do you guys think, dealership or Craigslist? And if Craigslist, what are some things that I should look for when purchasing a bike and checking over it? Lastly, any tips for riding would also be greatly appreciated! Any definite DO NOT DOs or things of that sort? Thank you, very much appreciated.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Buying first motorcycle!

Post by ped »

Hi b,
The R6 is VERY FAST, and POWERFUL. It will top out @ about 170mph. at that speed used bikes are somewhat beat on.
The 300 is a great starter bike, but you can get a 350 vespa that can perform better.
what I suggest is get a new bike with a warranty and low payments.
buy what you like.
there are some good deal at dealers you just have to shop around. not all bike dealers are the same.
you may find a leftover bike for a lot less money. you may want to wait a little as the new years model start coming in around june.
good luck.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

Buying from Craigslist(CL) is alright but you really need to use your common sense and better judgement. Is there anyone you know that is a bit knowledgeable about motorcycles(m/c)? It would be best to take that someone with you when you go shopping, otherwise go visit a local m/c shop to see how much they would charge to inspect/review the m/c that you're considering.

If you have a chance to ride both--go for it, see which one fits you and your preferences better. The reviews for the newish Ninja 300 are good; able to handle freeway speeds (one video reviewer said he was going 90mph...), and decent looking too. I'm rather on the smaller side at 5'4" so I'd take the 300 just because it would fit all my needs. <What are your needs? is the question to ask yourself.>

Do your due diligence in your search/research. What are the market values of both m/c's? from the dealers? and use that as a base price for shopping on CL. Sometimes people are goofy in that some CL ads/listings are overpriced! Yes, I understand that said owner has added/installed aftermarket products and is trying to recoup some of the additional monies spent but most of the time they'll not get as much as they've put in m/c upgrades.

As mentioned in the beginning it's best to take a more experienced friend with you shopping or take it back to the shop. If you can't here's some common sense questions: Does the bike start up right away? does it idle fine? Does it have cosmetic damage? If it does, visually check elsewhere for related collateral damages. Visually check alignment of wheel/frame/body. Does it shift properly? Can it go in and out of neutral gear alright? Basically the same things (but a little bit more) that you'd be looking at if you were buying another moped/scooter. Little bit more because of clutch/foot controls/gears that are not present in our automatic (CVT powered) moped/scooters.

Hope my ranting has helped somewhat :wink: ... either that or I just got you more confused. :roll: :shock:
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Post by cruzingratiot »

get a insurance quote on whatever you are thinking about buying
I know people who have bought motorcycles than couldn't afford the insurance

it is not about cc size it is more about what bike you are comfortable riding
and fits your riding style

Paul Jug
one of my bikes owned this one 14 years so far
have ridden the newer sport bikes to bent over for me
PaulJug1.jpg
PaulJug1.jpg (86.12 KiB) Viewed 8666 times
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Just a beautiful vintage 750 Turbo, tastefully modified. I really liked that style.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

That's a sweet bike paul, not a beginner bike tho.
The ninja 300 is a good bike and capable of 110 but not for long periods. My girlfriend owned one for a short while. The problem with smaller bikes is everything is smaller, brakes, seat, height, gas bill, etc. The r6 is a fun bike, my girlfriend now rides a 636 ninja and she loves it. I'd say a 600 is good beginner bike for someone who has rode a dirt bike or quad and felt safe. A 300 or 500 is good for people who have little experience. Those won't raise the wheel if you pull too much. But ride what you feel safe. Test ride both and see how you feel. R6s have some issues and I try to steer clear of them and r1s. Sweet bikes tho.
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

as above really - so wont bother typing all that

just my two cents here -
as a new rider id personally get the 300, work your way up in power wise, as i have. you learn ALOT more that way. the r6 and r1 are favourites over here but are in my shop alot. theyre not bad bikes just seem to need alot of looking after. cant comment on the 300 as weve not had one in yet. i went from a 50cc - 125cc- 250cc- 500cc- 600cc- 1000cc and im now on a bmw 1200cc and considering a triumph tiger explorer.
when you do get the bike though, until your properly used to it keep the revs low and practise smooth shifting, get used to the handling of the bike, find some quiet roads where you can practise maneuvers such as u turns, emergency braking etc etc without putting yourself or others in danger, ive done this with every bike ive owned and tried not to go on main roads unless absolutely neccessery until i got used to the bike. see if there is any local bike safe courses (not sure if you have them over there) when you do get your bike, if you have them over there, youll get alot of tips and advice + learn alot. make yourself a better rider.

personally i wouldnt just jump on a 600cc straight away - get something smaller/that suits you.
ride safe.
A good toolkit is a hammer and a condom. If the hammer doesn't fix it, Use the condom to f**k it!
Street Sweeper
BMX
BMX

Post by Street Sweeper »

Well... what did you get? Inquiring minds want to know.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

First of all, thank you guys all very much for the valuable information. Since then I have been doing a lot of reading and sort of figured out my plan. I was reading a lot about motorcycles and which one I wanna start with and narrowed it down (sort of haha) to a ninja 300, cbr500r, cb500f, wr250x, or a dz400sm. But, since both supermotos, wr250x and dz400sm, have a seat height of 35 inches, I figured they were too tall and knocked them out of the possible starters for me. So now I'm left with the ninja 300, cbr500r and the cb500f. And honestly I'm pretty torn between all 3... Ninja 300 is a lot lighter however it does have a little less umph and power so I might get bored of it. Cbr500r is a cool bike but a little more expensive than the ninja 300 and a little heavier. And the cb500f looks cool as a naked bike.

I also came across the suzuki gs500 and the sv650 but those seem to be a little to big for starter bikes for me. However, they are really really inexpensive (about $2000 give or take) and could possibly be a good starter bike for me as they can take some abuse incase I drop it or fall.

I've been working a lot this summer and have saved up enough to buy the bike outright and not have to worry about payments, and insurance, and gear so now it's just about figuring which one I want and taking the plunge. I came across a guy who recently bought a ninja 300 here in San Francisco and he said he paid $5200 out the door. With that in mind, and with bikes on CL asking for that much and more for a used ninja 300, I decided I'm gonna stay away from Craigslist and stick with the dealership. Gonna check out the dealerships here in San Francisco hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

What do you guys think? This bike will be for a lot of city riding here in San Francisco with the maybe once or twice a month ride further out of the city on weekends. Thanks again! Really excited to finally be getting my first bike!
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

hi. go with the one with best MPG, but get the 500cc with little to no plastic's to replace. plastics are expensive to replace. GL.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Another question before I take the plunge. Collision insurance or no collision insurance? With liability and comprehensive I'm at $220 and with collision I'm at $890 so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Deductible is set at $500.

Currently waiting to see if I can get a better out the door price. Right now I'm at $5900 out the door for a new Black 2014 Ninja 300 ABS model.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

hi bfowler. the ninja 300 is a great starter bike and it has a even better looking style. you may want to protect it with full coverage. at lease a few years. :imo:
motormike

Post by motormike »

I say : you have already done yourself a mis-justice by excluding the two supermotards.
RIDE them all...or all that you can...before saying no.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Thanks for the advice guys.
I've been checking Craigslist constantly looking for a used ninja 300 but everyone has them way too over priced. If I could find one cheap enough I'd much rather do that.

And as far as the supermotards go, I wish I could ride it. But I just wouldn't feel comfortable on it as my first bike since I'm only 5'7" and they have a much higher seat height than the ninja 300 or cbr500r. Will keep you guys posted and let you know!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Seat height takes about 30 seconds to overcome...but you will not know if you don't try.
I absolutely love the ride a supermotard gives...and rode a 2009 KLX250SF for a year until it was swiped.
then I was 58 years old and 5'8"... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"