Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohola Skyway

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohola Skyway

Post by Johnniespeed »

I just got back to Michigan from North Carolina/ Tennessee . If you have never ridden the Tail of the Dragon or the Cherohola Skyway, I strongly suggest to make plans to do so.
The Dragon has 318 curves in 11 miles, it is a challenge to ride quick and clean, not much room for error, it is a blast to do over and over. ( I did it eight times )
The Dragon is a great place to demonstrate how well your scoot accelerates, handles, brakes as well as your riding skills. I was only able to hit 55 mph in a couple of short straights, but got through every curve cleanly and quickly.
The Cherohola Skyway has great curves and great views, with plenty of stopping spots with overlooks to take pictures. This has longer straights and easy to go over 70 MPH.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohola Skyway

Post by veedubh20 »

grom went there too.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Has anyone here ridden the " Three Sisters" also known as " Twisted Sisters" in Texas ??
I hear it is a 130 mile loop with twisties and views equal to the Dragon.
If you have please post about it.

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I live 5 miles from the dragon Harley shop. Best road around here, except the knoxville off ramps. Make sure you look online at killboys pictures.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Yeah I had a great time on the Dragon, Moonshiner 28 and on the Cherohala. You are fortunate to live so close, I drove 12 hours to get your neighborhood.
My photos were on all the three photo sites. Isn't there a Harley shop by the Dragon and another on the West side of the Cherohala loop ?
That Kats Deli in Tellico plains has great sandwiches.
I stayed at Fontana Village, first class place and cheap too, here in Michigan a resort like that would cost twice what they charge. The trick is to join their Dragonslayers club for a discount.
If you have never done it, the sunset cruise on Fontana lake is priceless, one hour and forty five minutes of narrated history lesson, priceless !
Now I want to find someone who has ridden the Texas Twisted Sisters loop and get the inside scoop.

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Johnniespeed wrote:Yeah I had a great time on the Dragon, Moonshiner 28 and on the Cherohala. You are fortunate to live so close, I drove 12 hours to get your neighborhood.
My photos were on all the three photo sites. Isn't there a Harley shop by the Dragon and another on the West side of the Cherohala loop ?
That Kats Deli in Tellico plains has great sandwiches.
I stayed at Fontana Village, first class place and cheap too, here in Michigan a resort like that would cost twice what they charge. The trick is to join their Dragonslayers club for a discount.
If you have never done it, the sunset cruise on Fontana lake is priceless, one hour and forty five minutes of narrated history lesson, priceless !
Now I want to find someone who has ridden the Texas Twisted Sisters loop and get the inside scoop.
I would'nt say fortunate, because ive blown many a many engines on the dragon. But I keep going back. :P
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Despite your blown engines, I know why you go back to the Dragon.

I plan to go back and I live 12 hours from it.

Cant say enough good about Fontana village resort, join the Dragonslayers club and presto... cheap stay.

Fontana dam is rich with history, played a big part in WW2.