Geico just lost a customer today

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Geico just lost a customer today

Post by eclark5483 »

I've been with them for over 10 years now and they peeved me off, so I canceled my policy and went to Progressive instead. In doing so, my rate is now over $300 cheaper a year. It all happened because of their refusal to give me motorcycle coverage because of my son Shawn. Shawn does not have a permit and won't even TRY the Spree scooter I got from the auction, but I had been talking to the rep and had told her about his Autism and how I'd like to eventually get him to just try riding one. I told her about how my daughter Kayla is taking the moped safety class and will be getting her permit, and that wasn't a problem. The reason they denied me coverage is because I had indicated I might let Shawn ride it on a closed track or out on a private lot. They said they would not insure it because he doesn't have a permit, and I said, well, if he can't be on it without a permit, then no big deal, that's just the way it is, I just won't let him on it, and she STILL refused the policy. So I said, you know what, then cancel my policy for the other scooter, and cancel my auto insurance too, this is BS!! So I hung up on her. Then I call up Progressive and told them the exact same situation, and the rep was from here in Iowa, she has a brother with Autism and understands completely. She knows that the Spree has no real value to me and is just a beat up ole scooter for the kids to practice on and knows it's not gonna be like the Tao Tao I bought for my daughter. She had no problem whatsoever selling me a policy with the exact same coverage I had before and was $30 cheaper a month on my cars. So after I get off the phone with her, I call Geico back up to officially close my account. The rep I talked to didn't sound at all happy... not with me, but with how the other rep handled the situation. She begged me to stay, to try a different policy program that was cheaper, and I said, sorry, I already bought a new policy with Progressive. She told me that the experience I had with the first rep is going to be reported to her supervisor and that she should not have handled it the way she did and should have accepted the mopeds. But, that's that. Glad I did it, and I now have both my cars and both scooters properly insured. It really peeves me because I go out of my way to do the best I can for my kids... yeah so what if I wanna take my autistic son out and try and teach him how to gain a bit of independence for himself on a scooter. It's not like he'd be on any roads if I do it. He'd be on a privately owned track and if he wrecked the dang spree I REALLY REALLY wouldn't care. I bought it for the SPECIFIC purpose of teaching them both how to ride with a total disregard to the value of a 30 year old, beat up, run down, POS scooter. Their futures are more important to me then a bike that was destined for the junk yard. So glad that progressive was way more understanding about the situation I as a parent with special needs kids am in. Getting my son to even TRY that little ole' Spree at this point, is nothing but a pipe dream. I can't believe the rep was so heartless and rude that she wouldn't even insure me just because I SUGGESTED that I'd love to have my son even learn to drive it. God DA_MN... I'd be THRILLED if I could even get my boy to drive one of the go-carts at the track in Okoboji, much less drive a scooter. I'm just pi_ss_ed.. sorry, just needed to vent. But at least I now have both scooters and my cars insured and at a lower rate then what I was paying. It's just the principal of the whole situation that really gets to me. Thankfully the lady from Progressive also knows what it's like dealing with special needs kids and was very helpful to my situation.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Geico just lost a customer today

Post by burnt_toast »

sounds like a sucky experience. but you stuck to your guns and came out on top. would be satisfying to hear the geico lady get a scolding, but beside that at least you're even saving some on the insurance, so sounds like a win to me
projects galore :nerd: