spray painting

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

spray painting

Post by burnt_toast »

quick question for you guys,

do you wear any sort of protection when spray painting/plastidip spraying outside??

i've generally just tried to wear a particulate mask, but wonder if thats enough. can still almost always smell the fumes, even thru the mask. makes me wonder if a real painting mask may be in order..

thoughts? :?:
(no clear answer from the internetz)
projects galore :nerd:
Wheelman-111

Re: spray painting

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Organic solvent inhalation exposure can be a major issues for professionals exposed on a daily basis. For the rest of us weekend warriors with infrequent exposures, Personal Protective Equipment isn't so compulsory. "Always use in a well-ventilated area" is good advice, however.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

A regular dust mask is all you need for "weekend warrior" projects. That will stop harmful particulates from reaching your respiratory system. The fumes you will still be smelling is of low concentration and is within a safe range while used outside or in a well-ventilated area.

As Wheeldude says, if you paint for a living and are exposed to these fumes for 40hrs/week then you should invest in something more serious.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Organic solvent inhalation exposure can be a major issues for professionals exposed on a daily basis. For the rest of us weekend warriors with infrequent exposures, Personal Protective Equipment isn't so compulsory. "Always use in a well-ventilated area" is good advice, however.
gg, just don't huff it in a non ventilated hot closed dark dreary garage and you will be okay.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

No mask needed if your in a pretty open area. Myself personally, I use a full body suit with hood that pumps in outside air. That's extreme yes, but I am required to have it on for my job. Touch up booth it isn't needed as we have a filter wall that sucks in contaminate. For you, I recommend a cheap fan facing backwards to draw out the air. And a smaller fan on the opposite end of the area to push air towards the exhaust fan.

Edit: focus your mist towards the exhaust fan when applying.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I try to stay up-wind of the spray, and do it outside, other than that you should be ok if your not str8 huffing it.

If you do huff it, use silver or metallic blue. More chemicals, heard it in d.a.r.e.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

benji wrote:I try to stay up-wind of the spray, and do it outside, other than that you should be ok if your not str8 huffing it.

If you do huff it, use silver or metallic blue. More chemicals, heard it in d.a.r.e.
LOL. :lol: will keep that in mind haha

thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated!

typically spray paint right outside, in front of garage. and have a fan i turn on, blowing out, when drying in between coats. Using this particulate mask:
http://www.harborfreight.com/particulat ... 61434.html

this is what i was looking at in case of further protection, but guess it could be overkill. cheap to try tho, for the paranoid in me :nervous: lol, we'll see
http://www.harborfreight.com/p95-mainte ... 66554.html
projects galore :nerd:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The respirator just stops more particulates than the cheapy dust mask. Does nothing for fumes. For fumes you need a completely sealed mask with an oxygen line.

Its like buying a new furnace filter for your house...the $30 one stops finer particles than the $5. Can still smell a fart through it tho. :smile:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Well if your farts are that strong then you need to lay off the beans. Lololol respriators with charcoal filters should not carry smell. I used to mix marker ink at rubbermaid, the face of the fikter over cotton would be black the inside would be like new after a 10 hour shift of breathing through it.

Get a wilson.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2822127787 ... noapp=true

Long * ebay link but thats the one I brought for work and my dad has used the same one in high carbon monoxide areas while buffing inside and stripping floors. Very good mask.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

MrJumps wrote:Get a wilson.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282212778755
Long * ebay link but thats the one I brought for work and my dad has used the same one in high carbon monoxide areas while buffing inside and stripping floors. Very good mask.
Fixed that link... but anyways, we used to use Willson respirators back in the day for other things. :naughty:

You'd modify the center for a tube with a pipe bowl on the end, light up the end with your favorite "tobacco" :thumbwink: , then take a deep breath. :2thumbs:

FUN FUN!! :lol: