The world's fastest Indian

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

The world's fastest Indian

Post by eclark5483 »

So, I got a first hand look this week at something not many have ever seen. The bike used by Burt Munro on the Bonneville Salt Flats back in the 60's that became the world's fastest Indian motorcycle at 184+mph.

Some of you may have seen the movie starring Anthony Hopkins (honestly, kind of boring), which told the tale of this New Zealander and his Indian.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

You really don't appreciate his feat until you get a close look at the bike. It leaves you scratching your head wondering how he did it.

Polaris Industries (my employer), acquired the bike a while back and shipped it off to our plant, I am assuming for display in our visitor's center.

I had seen images of it before, and even replica images, but never anything with a close up look of this amazing bike. Since I am now able to get a good look at it, thought I'd snap a few photos and share some of the key things on it that just blow your mind.

The first thing that caught my attention, is the rockers. They were fashioned so that they protruded where the person riding would actually come in contact with them unless properly padded.

And try riding with your rear propped up against the tank!! Ouch!!

And you thought breaking on a Spree at 35-40mph is tough, wow, just check this out, remember, the bike went 184!!

The carb on it, reminds me of a Tillotson... MAYBE IT IS?? I'm not familiar with all the components.

You truly have to see this bike in person. IT'S CRAZY!! It comes up to about my knees, the brakes, shifter, etc are just aligned so strange. Here are some more images (excuse or appreciate the very large size):

motormike

Re: The world's fastest Indian

Post by motormike »

eclark5483 wrote:the movie starring Anthony Hopkins (honestly, kind of boring)
Notice to all readers: the statement above reflects one person's opinion.
My opinion differs entirely from eclark's.
I find "The World's Fastest Indian" interesting, warming, and evoking an
endearment to Burt Munro that represents the depth of passion one man can achieve to reach a goal.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I can agree with that statement. I guess I should have rephrased a bit. If you are looking for a movie full of BS drama and events of a person's life glamorized for the big screen, this movie is not it. However, if you are looking for a movie that documents the perseverance of one man's dream, it's an excellent movie to watch. I haven't seen it in a few years, but I remember one of the things about Mr. Monro when riding the bike, is that he had burned himself a couple times on the legs from the heat of the bike. When you see the bike in person, you see why that happened. You look at the wheels and you think to yourself.. WOW 184MPH on THAT!! I tell you what, I'd LOVE to have a look at the transfer ports on it. Considering the bike engine is from like, the 1920's, it would be amazing to see the work he put into it. Something only a true motorhead would appreciate.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

SWAP IN A DIO! :lol:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
TobeyJohnson
Noob
Noob

Post by TobeyJohnson »

Hmm, I may have to check this out. :)
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Post by kuromi »

Meatball wrote:SWAP IN A DIO! :lol:
D.a.m.n.! Beat me to it :(
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)