This is why Sprees and Elites have no resale value

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: This is why Sprees and Elites have no resale value

Post by benji »

Good point. Up here fairly often on CL. Not clean tho haha
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

I new comer can buy a new bike for under 500 dollars or a used 30 year old one for the same price. If you didn't know better which one would you buy? They just don't know that a over 30 year old bike will run better then that new Chinese bike. I bought my two Sprees new in 1986 but for the life of me I don't remember what I paid for them. It just seems I paid 500 dollars for the pair of them??? I wouldn't part with them at any price now.
kingdele
BMX
BMX

Post by kingdele »

vintagegarage wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:25 am In Florida, I am finding it easy to buy a Spree for $500 US and very difficult to sell one for the same price. My usual deal is I buy a nice one for $450, spend $200 to fix what is wrong with it and to cherry it up (typically putting on new tires, getting it running right, perhaps replacing an electrical switch or two, and installing a new battery), and then can't sell it for $500. I usually end up getting $450 for it after working the sale for several months and turning down a dozen or so $100 offers during the two months. I also get the title straightened out and in my name, which adds about $150 to the loss.

I think what you are supposed to do with the $500 Chinese scooters is to drive them with no maintenance or oil changes until the tires are bald. By then, besides the bald tires, the body has cracks, the sides are scraped up from layovers, the chrome is starting to get rusty, the battery is shot and the engine is pretty tired. There is no need for new spare parts, and that is why there aren't any. You drop the scooter off at the junkyard and buy another one, sort of like buying a new iPhone each year. You get a fresh scooter each year as long as you want one. It does make your life easier, and your fingernails cleaner.
:woot:
kingdele
BMX
BMX

Post by kingdele »

noiseguy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 pm
benji wrote:Cleeeeaaaan for $350. I'm betting sprees are all over Florida, just cuz of the weather and the old folks bringing em down on the backs of RVs when the retire down there.
They're not. Much more common in colder areas where they don't get ridden that much.
Are they really?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I don't know about the rest of the country, but there are Sprees on craigslist here in Florida every time I look. This one has been up for 11 days for $500, with no title. No title is a big deal here in Florida and makes this a $150 scooter:

Here is the ad:

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1 ... 72138.html

I see if also needs a reproduction seat cover, and the seller is exaggerating.. says it is worth a grand with no title.. :geekdance: it is worth about $450 with a clean title and an accurate repro seat cover installed.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Don't you wish you would have consulted your crystal ball before starting down the dark alley of Spree ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"