How does Yahama Zuma do it?

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

frog357
BMX
BMX

How does Yahama Zuma do it?

Post by frog357 »

The Yahama Zuma is a 50cc engine, what is the major difference that lets that moped/scooter go 40-45mph?
FreddyT
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Well, port timing and exhaust for one. Spree is also a single speed, whereas the Zuma may have a variator. Anyone else?
porter92
BMX
BMX

Post by porter92 »

Hmm. The Zuma goes 40-45. Sounds interesting. Does anyone own one of these bikes? Are they reliable? I understand they are still 2-stoke even though Honda has long since gone to 4-stroke.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

what year zuma gets those speeds?
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
frog357
BMX
BMX

Post by frog357 »

My friend owns one, it's about a 1993-1995. His goes 40 with his dad on it and he's a big guy.
FreddyT
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Yeah, definately a variator. My stock aprilia will come close to going 50, and it is a 50cc engine also. The v-belt system in very intresting and neat how much more it can drive out of a motor. I wonder if it would be possible to fit one on a spree..?
dallasmysterycrew
Noob
Noob

Post by dallasmysterycrew »

i like the zuma, it's a neat bike, got to see a blue one get a nickel plated tuned pipe, with an anodized blue silencer, installed. looked great, guy said it was a sweet ride. this one was an 03 i think, 04 maybe, good lookin bike.
you guys gotta see kymcos though. great bikes, such as........ the super9 (which to my knoledge is the fastest stock 50 in the us) goes close to 60 once its broken in. even though u ---can't--- take a 50 on the highway, at least here, thats still cool! its water cooled, and has a boss looking vent for the radiator. got to ride one with a cylinder kit, carb (i think), clutch spings performance variator, derestricted, tuned pipe and it would hit 70+, and man did it MOVE, sweet moped, still could have a few more things done, but it was FAST. also got to ride a kymco people 50, smoother, with good acceleration, goes 53 ish once its broke in. air cooled. and lets see, the kymco zx50 is nice as well, great bikes, they make. but even though im surrounded by kymcos, and all manner of moped all day, i still have a happy place for old hondas. i guess thats why im here. lol

and believe it or not, i perfer the 2 stroke for performance, and maintanance, theres nothing to its design. i thnk 4 strokes have alot of potential, but theres alot of labor involved with tuning them up, and they can be a bit slow. im sure as the technology progresses they'll get faster, but for now, i'll take my 2 strokes....sorry not trying to sound like a know it all, just like scooters :D
spoolboyy
Noob
Noob

Post by spoolboyy »

yeah zuma's are definitely variators. they claim better performance than the Vino, Yamaha's other scooter. although with a little modification, the Vino can really zip along.

theres some great yamaha related discussion at:

http://www.provoscooter.com

they have a forum section, im more of a lurker there, i just kinda read up on them. the same site has a great how-to and tech section, and they also sell parts. mostly for Yamahas of course.

-adam