Help edit my troubleshoot guide.

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Help edit my troubleshoot guide.

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, if you have been to my site at all, youve probobly noticed I use a "moped" troubleshooting document, I dont want to use that anymore because it isnt a spree troubleshooting document. So I wrote one for myself, but I dont trust my own writing abilities. If you have somthing to add to it reply, same with critisizm and other HELPFUL ideas, if you came here to flame me :( go away *note that some words are actually links when it comes down to being to it actually being published.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main causes of a Spree not working are:
1. Dirty carburetor.
2. Fouled, or not properly gapped sparkplug.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visually inspect the spark plug, if it is wet, black or gummed up, it will not spark. Its smart to just buy a new one to start out with; you can always save the new one if the current one turns out to be good.

Check to see if you get a spark at the spark plug. Pull the sparkplug out using a deep socket, spark plug socket. Reconnect the coil to the sparkplug and hold it firmly against a metal spot on the bike, and either use the kick-start or electric starter. If you use the kick, and it doesnt spark, then it is the spark plug. If you use the electric start and it doesn't spark, it could be due to a dead battery, bad wiring, and finally the spark plug. Be careful not to zap yourself. It doesn't hurt much but you may drop the sparkplug accidentally.

If it sparks and still doest run, check the fuel flow. Do this by taking off both red fuel hoses that come out of the fuel valve, on the underside of the tank. Put the upper hose into a clean bowl, and suck the lower hose (you will not get fuel in your mouth). By doing this you will create a suction that the engine is supposed to make. If gas flows into the bowl then your fuel valve is clean, but most likely your carburetor is dirty, that or your missing compression somewhere and the suction never takes place while hooked up.

Check to make sure you have an air filter, and that there are no holes or missing clips on the lid. Check the whole intake system for cracks or anything that would make the bike run too lean. Clean the air filter properly.

Now your spree should at least turn over and turn on. If it doesn't or if it runs poorly or doesn't idle, read on.

More uncommon, but still very real problems:

1. The muffler might be clogged with carbon.

2. The exhaust port might be clogged.

3. The rings or cylinder might be worn out or damaged and don't have enough compression.

4. Your head gasket might be leaking.

Clogged muffler and exhaust port would cause a bike to run, but really poorly, no uphill power, etc.

Take a look down the muffler of the bike, if there is carbon build up right at the tip, usually the whole exhaust is clogged and should be cleaned.
Take off the exhaust and look at the connection point of the head to the exhaust, look with a flashlight at all the walls of the port all the way down to the cylinder head. But usually if the exhaust was clogged, chances are that the port is clogged up too.

It is quite difficult to take out the cylinder head and cylinder then clean the port with a wire brush, so just try to get out as much as you can without doing that. Use a wire brush, not a dremel ever. Have the bike on its side so you don't get any carbon down into the cylinder/piston area.

A quick way to do an easy test for compression is to remove the spark plug and start the motor while you hold you finger FIRMLY over the spark plug hole... the piston and rings should compress the air enough to blow your finger right off the spark plug hole... if it doesn't you need to remove the head and cylinder and look for scuffing and scoring on the cylinder and piston skirt. If there is no scuffing and scoring you need new piston rings.

On a leaky gasket, you can usually hear compression escaping through the head gasket. Or look close between the cylinder and head for oil leaking. Take off the head and install a new one, they cost about 6 bucks.
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

:( poo
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Poo? No, it looks good. I would add that one cause for no spark is a bad coil or spark plug cap.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

poo was for the fact that noone wanted to help me lol thank you noiseguy, hahah somone actually cares :-p
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
Spree Repair Guide
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Good advice, noobs can really use that sort of stuff. I have had to figure out that stuff the hard way.
jimpomm
Noob
Noob

Post by jimpomm »

How about a blurb when taillight does not lite when key placed in on position,and no response when you push starter button. Check fuse below positive post on battery . Might be blown ,or in my case on a non-starting bike I picked up the fuse holder was broken,so I just replaced it with an updated in line fuse and holder.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Haha, what are the chances. I have never heard of that fuse blowing.
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

Of all the crap I have had happen to my sprees, I have never replaced that darn fuse. I wish something easy like that would happen more often.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

I've worked on MANY a Spree and have not seen a blown fuse yet. A LOT of corroded fuses and holders, but never a blown fuse. Corroded connections up the wahoo too. I ALWAYS solder the connection when replacing and also use dielectric grease on all connections. I've never made a repair that came back.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I smoked a fuse once... then had to address the corroded fuse holder.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

I have a question for your site info.

When cleaning the gas tank, it says to put the gauge sending unit back in. Won't you damage it if you put marbles or nuts in there and swish it around? Also, my filter did not come out with the petcock. Will that get damaged as well?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

No and no. I couldn't get the filter out either, the only way I had to clean it was by cleaning the tank. Removing it would have destroyed it, it was stuck.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

yeah, i just prefer to buy one offline somewhere. Probabaly e-bay
Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Tank Filter

Post by Jhoodwink »

You can order the tank filter from Paul if you need it. He only charges $3.00 and that includes the shipping!

James :-) :D