My Other Scooter

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

My Other Scooter

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I thought I'd post a photo of my Sportster. It's a 2002 1200 S, purchased new in November 2001. The S stands for the brilliantly redundant Sporster Sport. HD is not known for its clever nomenclature. FXDWSEI-III and such. This bike is a Blockhead Evo design introduced in 1985 when the H-D executives had just re-acquired the Motor Company from its previous AMF ownership. Unlike the current Boneheads, which mount the engine on links to isolate the vibration from the frame, this engine is rigidly mounted to the frame and serves as a stressed member. At 503 pounds, it's about 55 pounds lighter than current Sportsters. Above 4500 RPM, it can make a great paint-shaker! Fortunately the abundance of torque starting at 2000 RPM makes forays into the higher realm completely unnecessary.

In addition to standard vintage 1200 Sportster fare, the S came with Buell Lightning heads for a little better high-RPM breathing, Twin plugs off a proper MAP sensor ECM, slightly hotter cams and a modified Keihin CV40 Carb, all of which added about 10-15% to the 1200's performance numbers, which with the exception of TORQUE (76 lb.-ft @ 4250 RMP) are pathetically low by current sportbike standards. But you can leave it in 5th and get a good kick in the pants when you twist the throttle from any speed above 35, making it fun to ride around town.

Running gear changes included 4-piston dual front discs, stickier-than-stock Dunlop K-591 tires, and a genuinely excellent fully-adjustable suspension front and rear. For a steel cradle-framed relic, it handles pretty darned well. It has about 15,000 miles, and has been as reliable as any vehicle I have owned. Until my "new" Aero is up and running, it'll have to do.

Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH