New laws for scooters in MI.

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

New laws for scooters in MI.

Post by chevyguyjay »

didnt know if anyone here in MI seen this or not. how frickin. stupid. :x

Agency: Secretary of State

MAY 7, 2009

What looks like a moped could be a motorcycle under state law

As warm weather arrives and Michigan residents consider buying a gas-sipping moped for quick trips to work or around town, Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land recommends they ask the right questions when visiting a retailer.

She advises buyers to be aware of the differences between a moped and motorcycle so they don't end up buying what is legally a motorcycle when they thought they were getting a moped. Unlike motorcycles, mopeds don't require insurance, a title, or license plate.

"Know the facts when you shop for a moped," Land said. "Mopeds and motorcycles both offer riders a fun, gas-saving alternative to driving a car, but buyers need to know the important differences between the two. Just because a moped doesn't look like a motorcycle doesn't mean necessarily that's the case. Make sure you know what you're getting if you decide to buy."

Under Michigan law, a moped:

Has an engine that produces 2 horsepower or less, and is 50 cubic centimeters in size or less;
Must not be able to travel faster than 30 miles an hour on a level surface; and,
Doesn't require the operator to shift gears.
Faster, more powerful two- or three-wheeled vehicles are legally considered motorcycles regardless of their design.

To legally operate a moped on Michigan streets, the rider must have a valid driver's license or a moped license. The moped also must have a valid registration sticker, which is good for three years, affixed to the back. Riders who are 18 years old or younger must wear a U.S. Department of Transportation-approved helmet, and only one person may ride on a moped at one time.

Additionally, mopeds must have safety features that include a horn, a mounted headlight, mounted seat, brakes on both wheels, a rear-view mirror, and tail and brake lights.

Motorcycle operators must have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement in addition to insurance and a license plate. Motorcycles legally may carry the operator and one passenger, who both must wear approved helmets. When traveling faster than 35 mph, a motorcyclist must use a windshield, goggles or a face shield. Motorcycles also must be titled like a car.

Buyers should know that some small motorized bikes or scooters often sold for use by children and known as mini-choppers or pocket bikes may not be driven on public streets because they lack legally required safety features.

Land also reminds people that buying a moped from a private seller is similar to buying a snowmobile or nontitled watercraft in a private transaction. The seller must complete and sign the back of the moped's registration document. The buyer must take the assigned moped registration to a Secretary of State office to register it in his or her name. For motorcycles, a private seller must reassign the motorcycle's title, including the odometer disclosure statement, to the purchaser. The buyer then takes the reassigned title to a Secretary of State office to title and register it in his or her name.

For more information about owning and operating a moped or motorcycle, visit www.Michigan.gov/sos.

Related Link
> Riding a moped safely PDF

~2004 Geely Fashion~
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

gov of mi, want to take out your pocket money...

here in hawaii, all moped shop, riders and moped rental stand up in the office room to oppose the bill moped license plate and safety check.

because the mayor take our pocket money. the bill has stop!! we oppose the bill!!!

we kept the hawaii moped bill the same way! :D
coolbeans
BMX
BMX

Post by coolbeans »

ASAIK, this isn't a change, at least not from last fall when I got my Aero. I know some of those guidelines suck, but it's not like they make you take a test drive on it or even want to see the thing you're registering.
I'm guessing that they're getting a lot of people in who bought a 150cc scoot on craigslist and think they can get a scoot registration on it.

If it's the registration/sale bit you're worried about, I had to jump a few hoops to get mine registered when it didn't have a title or old registration, but I just had to get a signed Bill of Sale from the previous owner. Luckily, it was someone I could get back in touch with as I didn't know this until much later after I bought it. If I couldn't find him, I would have found another way to fill out that form. :twisted:
1985 Honda Aero 50 5k
ida34
Noob
Noob

Post by ida34 »

I was a moped rider when I was a teenager in 1985. I bought a show room new spree and rode the * out of it. This has been the law since at least 1985. Even a 50cc can be considered a motorcycle if if makes over 2 hp (hard to prove) or goes over 30 mph (easy to prove when caught going faster than 30mph).
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Its been that way for a LONG time, nobody gives a f***.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

thats nothing new, what are you talking about?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

we have basicly the same law here in WI, and i was in the Honda dealership letting the sales staff sell me on a new aprila sr50 just for kicks
well he tells me that it goes 45 stock and you "dont need motorcycle endorsement" because its under 50cc
i then inform him what a state trooper told me about a "moped" going faster than 30 technically being a motorcycle and he says the state trooper is lying...i just left it at that because i have no plans on buying one, but it kinda sucks their selling stuff that "technically" isnt what they say it is

oh well i got a sweet aprilia lanyard w/ a swivel clip out of listening to him ;)
groovy
BMX
BMX

Re: New laws for scooters in MI.

Post by groovy »

The law hasn't changed since it was written. The only difference is that the Sec. of State has now described it better to protect potential buyers from misunderstanding it. I'm sure that quite a few buyers have found out their new "moped" was actually a motorcycle under the law. I wonder how many bought a pocket bike thinking that it could be registered................
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: New laws for scooters in MI.

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

groovy wrote:The law hasn't changed since it was written. The only difference is that the Sec. of State has now described it better to protect potential buyers from misunderstanding it. I'm sure that quite a few buyers have found out their new "moped" was actually a motorcycle under the law. I wonder how many bought a pocket bike thinking that it could be registered................
In Michigan if you have $15, can tell a half * lie("it goes 28 or so") and it has a clean VIN you're good to go. There is a difference between the law and what actually goes down.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.