Any Iowa riders?

Scooter clubs section. Not Honda-specific, but hey, you're here so you probably already own at least one. See board for posting details.

Moderator: Moderator

eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Any Iowa riders?

Post by eliteguy50 »

Anyone riding in Iowa? It just hit me that I have never seen a thread for Iowa so why not start one. I know there are a few clubs around like:
Central Iowa
Council Bluffs area
One in Eastern Iowa that is smaller, based in Cedar Rapids.
I know they were trying to start one in Dubuque but I don't know if it ever got off the ground.

What other clubs are there in the state?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
fatrat440
Goped
Goped

Re: Any Iowa riders?

Post by fatrat440 »

Not many of us, but yes there are a few. I'm in Cedar Rapids.
1984 Honda Spree Iowa.

1986 Honda Spree Iowa.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Post by Petrock's 1984 Spree »

I dont think there are many of us cause the moped laws arent too great...at all. And we dont have any big cities where a moped might be useful except the metro, and around iowa city.
Complete NOOB, sorry dudes
1984 Iowa Spreedio aka "Hammy"
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-8.44:1 Gears
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-Polini Ruckus Vari w/ 6.9g weights
-669x18x30 Belt
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Petrock's 1984 Spree wrote:I dont think there are many of us cause the moped laws arent too great...at all. And we dont have any big cities where a moped might be useful except the metro, and around iowa city.
Most of the scooters I've seen are illegally registered because of those moped laws. An elite SR a motorcycle? That is a little off. The flag law is just silly. I have noticed an increase recently with the higher fuel prices but most of them are not riders, just commuters.

And to update the list, there is now a scooter club in the quad cities, 14 members last I heard.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

eliteguy50 wrote:
Petrock's 1984 Spree wrote:I dont think there are many of us cause the moped laws arent too great...at all. And we dont have any big cities where a moped might be useful except the metro, and around iowa city.
Most of the scooters I've seen are illegally registered because of those moped laws. An elite SR a motorcycle? That is a little off. The flag law is just silly. I have noticed an increase recently with the higher fuel prices but most of them are not riders, just commuters.

And to update the list, there is now a scooter club in the quad cities, 14 members last I heard.
Hmmm could you actually register a spree as something bigger? Or if you get pulled over for doing over 30 mph would it still be a ticket?
Yeah ive had a friend even get a ticket for having his flag height be a foot too short, its really stupid.
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Petrock's 1984 Spree wrote:Hmmm could you actually register a spree as something bigger? Or if you get pulled over for doing over 30 mph would it still be a ticket?
Yeah ive had a friend even get a ticket for having his flag height be a foot too short, its really stupid.
Yes, I keep the registration as 49cc but I tell the county that I want to register it as a motorcycle instead of a moped. Then I can ride it on any rode, don't have to keep it under 30mph, don't have to have a flag, but can't park in a bike rack anymore. It also works the opposite way. My 1985 was registered as a motorcycle because back then the law was a top speed of 25mph and it goes 27mph. I told them it will not go 30 mph and I had to fill out one page to change the registration. Then I got a new title that read "Moped" so I can park it in bike racks.
Pulled over for 30mph could be a speeding ticket but you have to go over 30mph to get a registration ticket. Then it is $700 if I remember correctly. Iowa was the last state to get rid of their flag regulation for snowmobiles and beings other states still have "moped" flag registrations, I doubt IA will be getting rid of that.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Huh, so i could register my Spree as a 49cc (72cc actual) but say i want it registered as a motorcycle and its that easy?
Ah crap but then i have to go through with a motorcycle license dont I? Dang oh well
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Petrock's 1984 Spree wrote:Huh, so i could register my Spree as a 49cc (72cc actual) but say i want it registered as a motorcycle and its that easy?
Ah crap but then i have to go through with a motorcycle license dont I? Dang oh well
Yes, it is that easy, no paper work when you up it to a motorcycle. The individual clerk working the counter might give you static but there is no legal paperwork to go through. Yes, you do need a motorcycle license then. I've had the endorsement since I was 16 so that didn't matter to me. If you take the motorcycle test on your scooter, I would use the stock pipe, not the PG long. If you take the MSF course, you don't have to take the operating test for your endorsement and you will get an insurance discount. My insurance continued to call it a moped even when I told them I registered it as a Motorcycle. If you just go in and take the test, I think it is $5 or $10 and you are done if you pass the written and operating.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Wow that doesn't sound too bad at all. I realy like thr idea, all along I was thinking I'd have to be leery or cops everytime I did over 30. That's awesome.

Why the stock pipe? Does it have something to do with those EPA regulations?
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

If i were to ride through iowa, and even though i'm from Michigan, would i get a speeding ticket? my spree does 35 consistently. or would i be exempt from that being i'm from out of state?
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

killerpancake wrote:If i were to ride through iowa, and even though i'm from Michigan, would i get a speeding ticket? my spree does 35 consistently. or would i be exempt from that being i'm from out of state?
Iowa or any other state can not enforce their weird laws on residents of other states. Federal law prevents that.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear is right, if your bike conforms to the laws of the registered state, then you are legit. Other things can be enforced though, like helmet laws, speeding, etc.
I rode through Wisconsin and had to at least wear sunglasses (eye protection) or they would give me a ticket.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Petrock's 1984 Spree wrote:Wow that doesn't sound too bad at all. I realy like thr idea, all along I was thinking I'd have to be leery or cops everytime I did over 30. That's awesome.

Why the stock pipe? Does it have something to do with those EPA regulations?
The stock pipe will work better on the low end for the maneuvering tests.
Petrock's 1984 Spree
Elite
Elite

Ah okay i gotcha thats good to know
-72cc Polini Corsa
-V8 Typhoon Exhaust
-21mm OKO & CT Mani
-ZX Trans 1k Contra
-Polini 2 Shoe Clutch
-Koso Vented Clutch Bell
-669x18x30 Belt
lowblueranger
Spree
Spree

Post by lowblueranger »

I'm in Iowa City ^^^
We should ride sometime-I'm currently installing Polini BBK on my sr50 but I have a jog I could ride too!