CT And Other Clamp-On Carb Mounting Tip

This is the repository for hop-ups and mods for Elite and Spree. Look here for information on exhausts, porting, cylinders, intakes, and suspension mods.

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Wheelman-111

CT And Other Clamp-On Carb Mounting Tip

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

In Wheelman's OCD world, there's usually a reason for the craziness. Twice now I've suffered a near-dislocation of a carburetor - once it literally fell out of the sleve, hanging by the cable and fuel line. Both times, I had neglected this simple step:

Be sure to clean all the fuel/oil mixture residue from the inside of the rubber sleeve "donut" of the CT manifold and the spigot on the carb. I give it the twice-over with a paper towel sprayed with a little brake cleaner. The rubber should feel dry and a little squeaky when you rub your (clean) finger across - Don't use your greasy mitts and put back the oil you just removed...

Seat the carb and ensure the rib inside the socket catches the notch in the spigot. Tighten the clamp firmly - like a strong handshake - being careful that the clamp stays perpendicular. Be careful not to strip the worm gear, but make it tight. Remember that the engine isn't suspended and sharp jolts can loosen a sloppy carb mounting job.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH