Polini's Inscrutable Roller Placement Instructions

This is the repository for hop-ups and mods for Elite and Spree. Look here for information on exhausts, porting, cylinders, intakes, and suspension mods.

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Wheelman-111

Polini's Inscrutable Roller Placement Instructions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Didja ever notice that most variator roller weights have a shiny side and a plastic side? Didja ever wonder if it makes a difference which way the rollers are inserted? Nah, me neither.

But I came across this instruction booklet from those purveyors of fine Eye-Tally-Yan go-slightly-faster scooter hardware, Polini. Evidently Signori Polini does care, and in fact he gives step-by-step instructions on how it's-a suppos-a to be:
"Insert the rollers (D) in the mobile semi-pulley(E), making sure the part that beats in the insert is in the opposite direction with respect to the rotation of the Speed Control (Drawing 2). Evidently the original script was in Sanskrit, translated via Chinese into Italian and finally "English". You think I'm kidding?
PoliniRollerPlacementInstr.jpg
PoliniRollerPlacementInstr.jpg (225.86 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
No matter, a picture is worth a thousand ill-chosen, random-order words:
PoliniVarioDiagram.jpg
PoliniVarioDiagram.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
So, looking at the variator casting as you would a bowl: You see no metal looking at the LEFT side. I suspect it has to do with how the rotational forces are transmitted through the plastic/metal rollers.

The way I figure it, it won't save the world from democracy, but if there's a Right Way and a Wrong Way to do something, we might as well know what Signori Polini thinks is the right one. YMMV.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH