How To Install a Gear Set

This is the repository for hop-ups and mods for Elite and Spree. Look here for information on exhausts, porting, cylinders, intakes, and suspension mods.

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

How To Install a Gear Set

Post by Dac »

A Gear kit is a must for any bore kit. This is the kit i got from VtCycles. With a bore kit alone your motor will wind out really fast and not improve your top speed. How ever with a gear change it will improve your top end. If you are putting gears on a scooter without a bore kit it is advised that you get 9:1 gears. In this tutorial i will be putting 8:44:1 gears on a 94-01 honda elite.

Lets get started. The first thing you need to do is to move your belt cover. This part is straight foreword. Just remove all the bolts holding it on and it will pop right off.

Next you need to remove your clutch.
Just remove the center bolt on the rear pulley (the clutch) and it will pull off. [Note- on mine i was also working on other parts so i took my front pulley off also. And my air filter is a custom home made one. Yours will not look like mine. ]
Then remove the bolt shown to start to drain the oil. [Note- this will only drain some not all ]

Now is a good time to go to the other side and remove the tail pipe/ rear tire. Removing the tail pipe is easy. The back wheel is held on by one bolt. Easy to remove.

Next remove the bolts shown.
Once you get those off oil will start to flow out fast so be prepared. You might have to fight that for a while to break the seal. Mine was fairly easy but some are harder. Once the Cover is off this is what you will see.
The big gear will pull right out, then the smaller one will. This is what they look like out.

The little gear set is were we are going to start. For me the gear fell right off the old shaft and fit on the new shaft no problem. I have heard of people needing gear pullers for this part so it is good to have one or know some one with one just encase.

The Next part is the hardest part the bigger gear shaft. It is pressed on there and dont come off easy. You need a Press to get the gear off the shaft. and to get the new one on.
Lucky for me i knew some one who had one that worked. If you dont own one and dont know some one who does you can take it to a machine shop or gear shop or even a transmission shop. Most places will do it very cheap because it dont take very long.

With all the new parts ready its time to reinstall.
Place gears back into place. Put new gasket on . Put the gear cover back on. Fill the gear case with oil. Put clutch back on. Put belt cover back on. start engine and check for leaks.

Side Notes. When filling the gear case back up Honda sagest 10w-40 or equivalent. Honda also sagest to use 90cc of oil ( 3.0 U.S. oz). When doing this i was able to reuse my gasket and use RTV and i have not had a leak yet. However it is strongly recommend to use a new one. If you leak out your oil you will fry your gears.If you spot any errors or want me to add some thing tell me here.
Last edited by Dac on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.