Elite SA/SR50 Upgrade Path, Want Budget Speed? VIEW THIS

This is the repository for hop-ups and mods for Elite and Spree. Look here for information on exhausts, porting, cylinders, intakes, and suspension mods.

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Wheelman-111

Threadsurrection

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'm resurrecting this Burnt_Toast thread because I like it. It was the basis for my own Elite mods to date.

Jesse, JiangWayne has the V8 pipe for $130 including shipping if you haven't yet sprung for purchase. It seems to perform as stated by Dac and Dubh, very good power above 6000. I have yet to test for prolonged WOT, but 8500 is likely its sweet spot. Enough for 55 at least with 9:1.

I opted for the Nikasil 49mm/78cc kit from DayWot. It seems to be of good quality on inspection, and it's pretty strong in the low end for sure. Patrick will set his own price, but it's one of the more affordable kits out there, and I liked the idea of an aluminum cylinder for heat dissipatioin, super-hard-coated for durability. With about two hours clocked, a lot of it regrettably lean-jetted, it hasn't skipped a beat. Off-throttle excursions to 450 F. have occurred, without failure. Don't worry, I jetted up... :)

There were too many unanswered questions about the Ruima 50-51mm bore kits. I like the idea of 82-85ccs, but when you really think about it the added performance of 7-10% displacement advantage is not enough to risk the unknown fitment, quality and durability questions. I'd like more Forum discussion about actual results before buying, however attractive the price. Only 2 or 3 with experience with those?

I already had a Polini variator, transplanted from Flash II along with the externally-adjustable Polini 2-shoe clutch, both of which have performed very well. They ought to for that money. :( Stock belt for now. If you axt me I'd say the Keli + OKO ramp plate was almost as good for half the cost.

Limp sold me the 9:1 Ruima gears for a fair price and well, they're gears. I don't expect any trouble. Finishing off the drive train is a Pirelli SL26 90/90x10 tubeless rear tire on a tubeless Met rim.

I deliberately stuck with the stock carb and intake for now, jetted to the UNI pod. As long as jetting is optimal, and engine pulling through a smaller carb will make less power & heat than one with a full-sized mixer. Arguably the smaller carb will be better in the low-midrange too. I want a trouble-free reliable scooter, not absolute max output bragging rights. So far it's working, but I have yet to see what temps I get when I pull out the whip. I get uncomforable when I read >350 on my CHT. Right now I see 325 with the 101 and I'll go up if necesary. After break-in I plan to try my oddball Keihin VE24 CV carb, familiar to CH150 Elite owners. With the CT Chrome manifold adapted, it worked pretty well on Flash II.

Outcomes:

Bone stock with big tire: GPS =42.7 (~45 Indicated)
Added Ruima 9:1 only: GPS = 47.8 (~50 Indicated)
Added Nikasil+V8 Pipe: GPS anticipated = 55, who knows? Bye-bye speedo-needle?
(by my rough calculations, 8500 RPM should produce 58.7 MPH. Tire expansion offsetting belt slip/traction)

Flash II's best-ever: 58.7 GPS, although it went faster on at least two other occasions when I was without GPS.

Nik Bore Kit Issues:
Bore kit boost port was tiny - smaller in fact than the stock cases allow. Easily remedied.
No exhaust studs included. Weird but easy fix; stock ones fit.
Shroud plug hole close but not exact. 3/16 gap toward the back. - I don't like air leaks there with higher than stock output. Muffler tape?

V8 Pipe Issues:
Flat gasket at the flange doesn't self-center. A bit fussy to install.
Centerstand rubber bumper not aligned with the stand. Loud buzz until I bent the bracket to correct.
Uncomforably louder than stock.

You could duplicate these SA/16 Elite 50SR results for around $350. Maybe less with a bigger Ruima bore kit.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mookie
Elite
Elite

Re: Elite SA/SR50 Upgrade Path, Want Budget Speed? VIEW THIS

Post by mookie »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24MM-MIK ... 48384d7296

worth the effort to try and fit/ tune??
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember