Help with a Piaggio Fly 50

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Re: Help with a Piaggio Fly 50

Post by mustangwagz »

Well, the mark on the top sprocket shows cam timing. Now is the cylinder at the bottom or at the top? if bottom, rotate again till cam mark is at top again and check cyl. If piston is THEN at top, thats TDC i'd assume. I mean it IS a 4 stroke so thats not to bad. Check your valves once ya get it there.

Did head cover have a plug ya can remove to see timing marks while engine is still assembled?

since its gotta chain on it, its gotta have a timing chain sensioner as well so it IS possible to be a little outta time. but it'd prolly do something thouth. spit, sputter, backfire. Something, unless its WAY outta wack and firing plug way outta time. lol

Best way to check would be do like i said first, get that mark up top with piston on top then see how far off the hall effect/pick up sensor is to the nub on the flywheel. if its WAY off, then soemthing jumped time. But with 150 psi, its got LOTS of compression so what tells me that the thing should still be in time. I'm still leanin towards valves. :imo:
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

mustangwagz wrote:Well, the mark on the top sprocket shows cam timing. Now is the cylinder at the bottom or at the top? if bottom, rotate again till cam mark is at top again and check cyl. If piston is THEN at top, thats TDC i'd assume. I mean it IS a 4 stroke so thats not to bad. Check your valves once ya get it there.

Did head cover have a plug ya can remove to see timing marks while engine is still assembled?

since its gotta chain on it, its gotta have a timing chain sensioner as well so it IS possible to be a little outta time. but it'd prolly do something thouth. spit, sputter, backfire. Something, unless its WAY outta wack and firing plug way outta time. lol

Best way to check would be do like i said first, get that mark up top with piston on top then see how far off the hall effect/pick up sensor is to the nub on the flywheel. if its WAY off, then soemthing jumped time. But with 150 psi, its got LOTS of compression so what tells me that the thing should still be in time. I'm still leanin towards valves. :imo:
Pulled the entire head and jug and checked the valves. It all looked good. No clue on this one. :sad:

I will just start to put it all back together :evil:

I hate the piaggio
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Timing issues

Post by Trafficjamz »

Any one know how to set timing on this scooter?

It has been at a different repair shop, so I can not assume that anything is correct on this engine.

martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

You throw Spaghetti at it yet? :nervous:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Yes :smile:
Pizza too :wink:
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I don't know about the timing, but I know these run a much bigger vari than our honda 50's (I was told it would work). Have you tried a dio swap?
:b2t:
:?:
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

eliteguy50 wrote:I don't know about the timing, but I know these run a much bigger vari than our honda 50's (I was told it would work). Have you tried a dio swap?
:b2t:
:?:
This is not my scooter. It belongs to a customer of mine.

I do know the parts from the cheep chineesy fit the elites
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I had the same problem with a chinese four stroke. My problem turned out to be a cracked piston, which i did not notice till i hit the top of it with a wire wheel for * and giggles.

If another shop worked on it, start from scratch with the timing chain. If it's one tooth off you wont even get a backfire. That chinese heap was a learning experience from *... When the engine is at top dead center(remember being 4 stroke it only sparks once every other revolution vs. every turn like a 2 stroke) when it's on the ignition stroke that's top dead center. When the bottom end is at TDC, the top gear typically has 3 holes. The center one, normally the bigger of the three, should face directly away from the head.

I normally charge $20 an hour to work on scoots, but four strokes that have been molested by someone else is $35 an hour.

You got yourself in a deep hole on that scooter, and tell your customer he owns a big hole in the ground to throw money in.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Hey Jamz-

Did you ever figure this one out? My dad bought an 07 Fly 150 with this same problem, although it looks to have weak spark. It has a retarded looking 4-wire coil...

Let me know.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

it is fun work on 4stroke engine scooter is like fixing car LOL. :coolcruise:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

It needed a new CDI
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

I wonder if that is the bad part on my Aprilia? It will start but has no balls at all. ANd has the Trophy BBK (pink one) and Trophy pipe. No power at all. The weird thing is that is revs fine on the stand but with a person on it it will go about 25mph.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)