Variator Questions..

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Variator Questions..

Post by mustangwagz »

Ok guys, long time no see first off. lol So here's my question..
Just bougth a china made quad for the boy. 100 bucks, didnt run, "PO" was rather mechanically UN-inclined. long story short i got it runnin in 5 mins.

Then tore kickstart cover off cuz it was sticking. It was all gunked up and dirty so i cleaned it, checked the teethe and it works fine now. easy.

next thing was its slower than the spree ever was...yah..sad right? lol anyhow, i tore clutch off, its fine, tore the variator apart, the rollers we're jammed up in the ramp plate. So i tore that aprt, put it back together and am gettin ready to start it and see how it runs now..

Here's my thing.. Should there be a spring insidewith the ramp plate? Or what keeps the ramp plate tight against back of drive face pulley? Centrifigal Force? Or should it have a spring behind something that its lacking?

hope yinz can lend a hand giving me a rough idea how it all goes.. Yes i understand its china made, BUT, a spree bell and clutch dropped RIGHT on the back half of it. lol.. kinda crazy huh!? anyhow, hope to hear info soon! thanks guys!!
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Variator Questions..

Post by evilone »

No spring, the belt is what keeps it working the way it does.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

ok well i think its my rollers that wont let this little bugger get movin..it barely moves at all! so i'm thinkin that the rollers aint lettin it come out? they are kinda rough shape since they were jammed up in there. no flat spots, but a bunch of knicks N stuff in em, and un even.. so...i guess that is why they wont work!? this rollers and variators crap is new to me. lol

so i measuered them, their 16x13 rollers. not sure on weight though, i aint got my scales no more..lol although, to my hand they feel kinda heavy? so i duno. i was on ebasy checkin out daywot's roller selections. i'm thinkin i need to get ahold of him!

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
05 vinson
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

what brand quad is it?
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

bakaracer wrote:what brand quad is it?
its called "Aiqike" quadzilla. how ever thats pronounced! lol supposedly 85cc with the 144fm motor?, but all the parts ive found that measure up are for the 4stroke, 50cc motors. the 139qmb or somethin? i dunno. lol but i took a chance at a belt and hope it'll work.. i started it, and removed the side cover to see what was goin on.. looks to me as if the d*** belt is just to thin! cuz variator is extended the whole way out against its stop, belts is WAY down in the variator and barely movin.. just pretty much wont go! no top or bottom end at all. i tore clutch apart, cleaned it all up, cheked the pins and rubber bushings that clutch shoes ride on and it seemed all good. i sanded clutch pads as well and made sure they were riding evenly on clutch bell.

Odd thing is, unlike a honda spree clutch, in order to compress the clutch spring (the big one that pushes the halves together) you must also spin it, and compress it. Unlike the spree's that is. on sleds, its the same theory, but just made me say "Hmmm" in comparison to the spree clutch. Other than that, i took rollers out and re checked them, did a little smoothing with the scotch brite, but didnt fine any flat spots. just wanted to make sure it was working.

On a flat level surface, it'll move a little bit, rather slow but does move. and i noted the belt postion on the pulleys. Very inside on variator, very outside on clutch. Which tells me, belt is toooooo thin to do its job. SO hopefully this belt i just ordered will work correctly, and take care of my issue. HOPEFULLY! lol

Maybe someone has heard of these things?! maybe not! lol

05 vinson
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

nope never heard of that brand. can you read any numbers on the belt thats in there now?
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Yah i found a belt. its same as the gy6 50cc 4 stroke belt. they go hand in hand..i mean, it IS a fully automatic scooter motor so makes sense. Sad thing is i cant find frame or body parts anywhere for it so i dunno..prolly gonna sell it on CL..

05 vinson
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Can you post a picture?

As for the weights. Take them into the post office and get them weighed all at once and devide by the number of weights you have. That scale should get you close enough to the right weight for a kid to beat around the yard with.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

Of the quad? or the variator setup?

problem i'm runnin into is the ball joints are bad up front. and ALLLLL the a'arms i've found are totally different than the ones i got on this quad.

Cryin shame of it all is, the motor on this thing * rips guys! like, it winds out big time! lol aint really fast, but has a butt load of bottom end! i'm thinkin, *..i could easily gear this thing to go alot faster! lol

05 vinson
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Pictures of the quad. I have a parts unit sitting in my back yard, I am only pulling electronics and induction parts. Maybe the ball joints will work for you.
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

here ya go! lol says quadzilla but its far from the legendary quadzilla! Its got the aiqike motor on it? or was made by aiqike? lol..either way, i cant find this style of a arms anywhere!! I've looked high and low!! anyhow, imma list it on CL and see if ican sell it! hopefully fast!
china1.jpg
china1.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 6456 times

05 vinson
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Oh, that is an old model. My parts bike will not work for that one. I almost got one of those a couple months back though, same deal: a hundred for a non-runner on CL.