Not again . . . . . .

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

Johnny5
Spree
Spree

Not again . . . . . .

Post by Johnny5 »

Rattler woes have no mercy with me. I was performing a plug chop topped out at 55 mph in front of my home. As I let of the throttle to "chop" it, the bike chopped itself for me. It soft seized conveniently in front of my garage.

Now I want you guys to look carefully at the stock airbox design and tell me what you think about it. You can see on the throat of the filter that the actual filter is only a 1/2 inch from the edge of the carburetor. My theory is that with the increased demand from the modifications the air is becoming turbulent and not passing by the needle properly thus creating a fast lean condition.

I don't know why else this d*** thing keeps giving me a fast lean condition.

Does soft seizing do any damage? Can you hear detonation? I'm pretty sure I can but I'm not sure.

I ordered a UNI style filter a while back but it's still on the slow boat from China.

My temps while cruising with a few moments of wot never exceeded 270.

Here you can see the filter moved slightly aside from its housing to give an idea of how close the filter element is from the carburetor.
That's a plug with 1 mile on it.
06' Genuine Rattler 50 -Minarelli clone- 70cc pre-mix 32:1, Prima pipe, vari, clutch/center springs
84' Aero 50 "Blue Demon" Vari, airbox/muffler mod, jetted
83' Aero 50 "Red Demon" Stock
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Not again . . . . . .

Post by bakaracer »

did you change the main jet after you installed the big bore kit? why are you doing plug chops at 55mph for? thats asking for it to blow up doing it like that. :crazy:
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Regarding damage: Soft seizes can be survived without apparent harm, but they always result from momentary excessive heat. Sometimes it causes minimal damage, but it's never a good thing.

For yours: Look closely at that ghastly-white plug: The flecks of metal welded to the threaded edge probably once belonged to your piston. For a street ride I'm with Baka: Any new build break-in should start with a stupid-fat jet. If it runs reasonably well, take that one out and go bigger! Only with a few miles' observation should you start dropping, one size at a time, until you can live with it. Don't forget to oversize the Pilot also. Off-throttle, the engine depends on the cool mist from the Pilot (if possible) to keep from overheating as it coasts down.

Swappiing to a UNI filter will admit even more air to the mixture, making things worse. 386 is evidently more than your bore could sustain.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

What scooter is this?

2 stroke or 4?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

that has to be a razz
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Quit looking for things to blame for your too small of a main jet. You screwed up. Accept it and learn from your mistake.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Trafficjamz wrote:What scooter is this?

2 stroke or 4?
It is a 2T. A long block PGO version of the H. Minarelli (what they run in a modern Zuma).
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Johnny5
Spree
Spree

Post by Johnny5 »

Baka; I thought that's how you did a plug chop. Run at wot for a short bit and kill it. She runs up to top speed pretty quick (no gears) and of course I re-jetted! The kit came with a 90 & 95 so I installed the 95. It blew up the first bbk cause the stock 80 was still in it. So I'm going jet hunting at my store today where I'll pick up a few bigger sizes and throw in a 105, or the like, and see what happens.

Wheelman! Thanks for the info on soft seizes! Makes me feel a ton better. As for the pilot. I can still adjust the pilot so it 4 strokes out like no other so I'm pretty sure the pilot is sufficient. As for the filter, I gotta try it. It runs so much better without the air filter clogging up the carb's pathway of air. It's like putting the palm of your hand across your mouth leaving some space to breath with on one side......can't be good.

Bear . . . . I'm sorry. Would you like to use the ruler or the belt? :wink:

Eliteguy; Nice guess! I thought nobody knew about these.
06' Genuine Rattler 50 -Minarelli clone- 70cc pre-mix 32:1, Prima pipe, vari, clutch/center springs
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Further thoughts on that plug pic. Nice job photy-graffying it, BTW. If that was a new plug a mile ago, why's the tip of the ground strap oxidized? From turning itself into a Glow-Plug, methinks? If so that was pre-ignition and perhaps the immediate cause of the overheat.

If the jetting is rich enough to four-stroke in the low-midrange, then clearly either the Main is still too small, or there's a vacuum leak that opens up only at high RPM. Vibration can do this sometimes. I know, I ride a Harley... :oops: Insufficient cooling or insufficient oil (?) are other, more remote possibilities.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Johnny5 wrote:Baka; I thought that's how you did a plug chop. Run at wot for a short bit and kill it. She runs up to top speed pretty quick (no gears) and of course I re-jetted! The kit came with a 90 & 95 so I installed the 95. It blew up the first bbk cause the stock 80 was still in it. So I'm going jet hunting at my store today where I'll pick up a few bigger sizes and throw in a 105, or the like, and see what happens.

Wheelman! Thanks for the info on soft seizes! Makes me feel a ton better. As for the pilot. I can still adjust the pilot so it 4 strokes out like no other so I'm pretty sure the pilot is sufficient. As for the filter, I gotta try it. It runs so much better without the air filter clogging up the carb's pathway of air. It's like putting the palm of your hand across your mouth leaving some space to breath with on one side......can't be good.

Bear . . . . I'm sorry. Would you like to use the ruler or the belt? :wink:

Eliteguy; Nice guess! I thought nobody knew about these.
not at 55mph!! from dead stop get the bike up to where it hits high rpm and then hold for 4to5 seconds. the most you would get up to is maybe 40mph +/- 3mph. if youyr going faster then that to hold wot for plug chops,thats asking for trouble. are you using a pod airfilter on your bike? or stock airbox?
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Johnny5
Spree
Spree

Post by Johnny5 »

Stock airbox. As soon as my pod comes in I'll give it another go........ at 40mph this time.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Johnny5 wrote:Stock airbox. As soon as my pod comes in I'll give it another go........ at 40mph this time.
before you do that,check for either an exhaust leak or intake leak.if your running a 95 jet with the airbox,that thing should be either running just right or a little rich. Did you mod the airbox in any way?
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r