New guy here, Yamaha Vino questions

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

Pedal4ward
Noob
Noob

New guy here, Yamaha Vino questions

Post by Pedal4ward »

I usually wade around in the Moped Army forums(moped guy to start but I'm giving scoots a chance) but seeing as I'm purchasing this 2002 Vino i thought I'd give this forum a try. What are your opinions of the Vino scooter? It has the same engine as the Jog and the Zuma correct? From what I've heard it was a 50cc two stroke minarelli engine up until 2004 and I know for sure it isn't the 125cc version. I've got the guy talked down to 200 bucks for a running 2002 Vino. the body panels are all there(just scratched up), all the lights work, the only things that are wrong with it is he is having trouble finding the gas cap key and it bogged out once or twice when he was riding it yesterday, probably just needs the carb cleaned I would assume. So is this a good deal? I'd appreciate it if you could link me to any usful info floating around here on the engine or vino scoot. Also I was wondering if there was a custom body work for vintage scoots on this forum? I've seen the heavily modified Lambrettas with the drop handle bars and the floor boards replaced with foot pegs. I really like the look of those bikes and was wondering if anyone on here has done extensive body work to their scoots. My biggest tick with them is that you have to put your feet in the middle instead of on foot pegs or pedals like an Express or a moped.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd greatly appreciate it if I could be pointed in the right direction to find what I'm looking for, or if someone could fill me in on this thread!

-Tyler
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Re: New guy here, Yamaha Vino questions

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Welcome Tyler! :wink:

I brought this guy here and he's looking to learn a little more about scoots/mopeds in general. I brought him here because I learned alot of what I know on here.

I'm sure a few others will chime in and tell you that the Yamaha Vino's engine is worth the $200 you're paying for the whole bike. I've rode a bike with a Vino motor swapped in and it had crazy power for being stock!
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The Vino engine is very similar to the Jog ('92-01) engine except the intake is larger. The Zuma('02-current) is a longer block version.

The Vino is a 2t minarelli "50cc"
The Vino 125 is a 4t "125cc"
The Vino Classic is a 4t "50cc"
The problem is most people just refer to any one of them as a Vino.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Pedal4ward
Noob
Noob

Post by Pedal4ward »

Yeah it's definitely a 2002 50cc 2t Vino, I just picked it up last night and love it! Way better acceleration and top speed than any stock Moped I've owned before, I used to dislike scooters but not anymore! The plastic is beat to * (no thanks to my buddy dumping it last night) but the engine seems to run pretty smoothly, I'm just waiting for a day where it's dry enough to really open it up to see what it can do.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

[quote="eliteguy50"]The Vino engine is very similar to the Jog ('92-01) engine except the intake is larger. The Zuma('02-current) is a longer block version.

Yes.. :coolcruise: :coolcruise:
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Welcome.

I just procured a 2004 Vino with the same motor. From your description of its power it sounds like the PO already removed the restrictions in the exhaust and variator, but if you find your top speed is somewhere around 30mph then thats where to check first.

One thing I'm wondering about is which (if any) aftermarket variators are worth installing? There is a much larger spread in terms of price compared to the ones I've seen for Hondas, surprisingly larger actually (like $50 to $150).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

devenex wrote: One thing I'm wondering about is which (if any) aftermarket variators are worth installing? There is a much larger spread in terms of price compared to the ones I've seen for Hondas, surprisingly larger actually (like $50 to $150).
welcome to minarelli.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.