Stuck in China town.

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Stuck in China town.

Post by mr pibbs »

I thought the title was particularly clever.

A customer brought in a bike that had been sitting for a while. 600ish kilometers on it. Practically nothing.

Cleaned the carb, got it running, but has been weird ever since.

Wont idle and cold starting is difficult. PLugs are reading really rich - like really rich. Now it seems to bog down(rich apparently).

Valve clearances set. Carb is clean, new carb is also clean. air filter looks pretty good. Exhaust doesn't seem too bad. Garaged scoot, so very little rust.

I just feel stuck and can't seem to suss it out.

any ideas? Noiseman?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuck in China town.

Post by noiseguy »

Rich can only mean too much fuel or a massive air blockage... so you can rule out airleaks.

It's either a stuck float valve, or too large a main jet. If everything else checks out, I'd pull the carb apart and see if somethings off... main jet fallen out (or too large from the factory), missing CV spring... things like that.

With it being from China, I would verify that the stuff that's supposed to be in there is there... like the right size main jet, pilot jet, all the seals... you could swap on a known working carb as well to just entirely rule this out. I know a lot of china scoot mechs just do this, as a first step. You did this... did you verify that the main jet is the right size for the displacement?

Only thing is usually rich starts easy... perhaps its even past that. Check for gas in the oil while you at it.

Also check strength of coil and spark timing... wondering if your "too rich" condition is actually evidence of weak (or late) spark...

Have fun!
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
gatekeeper
Noob
Noob

Post by gatekeeper »

Does it have a vacuum petcock? If so maybe there is a leak in the diaphragm allowing gas to run down the vacuum hose into the intake manifold.
1985 Honda Spree
2008 Adly Thunderbike 150
2006 NST MPS50
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

sounds like a 4 stroke, contact the bear cuz he deals in junk :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!