Yamaha Razz Running Poorly

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

lishperton
Noob
Noob

Yamaha Razz Running Poorly

Post by lishperton »

Details:

A few weeks ago my girlfriend's Razz wasn't running so well. I took a look at it and the airbox was dangling, attached to the carb by only the rubber connector and being held on by the plastic body pieces. I'm assuming someone removed the screws because this Razz has ran like a champ for a long time.

Anyway I assumed way too much air was getting to the setup because of the poorly attached airbox so I got two screws, figuring it would fix it.

It helped for about a day but nothing seems to be working now.

It starts up only when the choke is on full, and then it idles at nearly full speed when on choke. If you un-choke the Razz it will stall. I can't get any sort of movement out of it because it just stalls whenever I give it gas, regardless of the choke setting. Somehow she's been actually riding this for the past few days, milking it and getting it to work OK, but that's not the way to do things.

What are the next steps? I can take a video to help describe the troubles if needed. I'm lost and the service manual isn't exactly moron friendly to a noob.

Thanks everyone.
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Re: Yamaha Razz Running Poorly

Post by SuprasNsprees »

having gone lean (airbox coming off) , i think a compression test would be my first step
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
motormike

Post by motormike »

....good advice....after that, if compression is within tolerance, carb cleaning in order....sounds like plugged jets or vacuum leak..... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
michele1988
Noob
Noob

Post by michele1988 »

Did you ever find out what the problem was....because I am having the same problem. Thanks