Picked up a Yamaha Riva 200 1989 fresh

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

mikeosoft
BMX
BMX

Picked up a Yamaha Riva 200 1989 fresh

Post by mikeosoft »

Yesterday I spotted an ad for a Yamaha Riva 200 1989 model. I went to take a look and give it a spin to see if it was for me, and when I got there I saw the owner was a neat freak. garage had heating, his cars were spotless. The man took care of his stuff. So i see the scooter is being jumped... What? he says he can't believe his luck, he always leaves it on a trickle charger, and for some reason the d*** bike wont start and when he jumps it the battery cant keep the bike running. Immediately I'm thinking this could be something serious like a bad alternator, or failed voltage regulator e.g. electrical damage. More importantly this means i cant see it rev, cant test the tranny, ect.... He was asking 950. I got him down and he threw in the charger. I took a gamble on the fact it was something small.

7101.6 miles on the odo. garaged it's whole life. maintenance records for everything. the scooter belonged to his father, he bought it new in 1991 2 year old model new from the dealership, his intention was "to get milk with it."

Welp I got it home and put my multimeter on the battery, 12.4 volts... weird. So next thing to check was the water levels. NO WATER AT ALL. This is from the prior owner who does oil changes every 500 miles... Then I realize: it's because he left that d*** "trickle charger" on it when not riding it. The stupid Schumacher unit has some marketing branding indicating smart auto full charge identification switching... *. I know that's what did it. Overcharging without riding. Water evaporates over the month the guy let it sit unused. I put some water back in the brand new battery, and bam first attempt the bike starts and revs fine.

Here's a pic of the bike as I poured distilled water in the battery:

This is my first 4t engine ever. It's so different from the 2 strokes i have been accustomed to riding over the past 10 years from 50cc to 125cc, now this big, heavy 200cc aircooled beast of a bike. I took it around the neighborhood today and hit 55uphill. It rides comfortable and while heavier and noticably harder to turn than my Honda Aero 125, it feels more comfortable at higher speeds. I still love the Aero but this bike is big, and covers a nice cruise well.

It's weird to feel like there's nothing that needs to be done to this scooter except for fluids change and battery repair....

Anyone been here before?
motormike

Re: Picked up a Yamaha Riva 200 1989 fresh

Post by motormike »

Simply fantastic mikeosoft... :thumbwink:
My Aero 125 is ready for a new battery, so I'm going gel this time.
I do NOT keep any battery tender because it's always being run,
and still the water level will need topping occaisionally.... :confused:
After all, wet cells are a maintenance item.
I've ridden Helix and liked it very well.
I'll bet you find yourself heading out for longer rides now... :thumbwink:

.......................................oh yeah, took my Aero 50 to a grudge match tonight against a Riva 50 and shut down the yammy with authority.... :bowrofl:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"