Just bought a TOMOS Sprint... have questions

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Just bought a TOMOS Sprint... have questions

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Just bought this 98 Tomos, love the two speed... but im trying to figure out a small problem. The engine is acting like it does not get enough fuel sometimes. I'll post a picture, I believe it has aftermarket exhaust and is improperly jetted. It's a stock carb with a 58 jet. Kudos if you know what the exhaust is. When I bought it the other one the seller has is BiTurbo exhaust, that thing sounded straight up nasty. This one is quiet like factory :(.

Anyways, where should I start with this one?

Is it supposed to have oil injection? There's no tank under the seat, so I premix the gas.

I leave you with this:
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Just bought a TOMOS Sprint... have questions

Post by Trafficjamz »

i have no idea how to tune a tomos.......just wanted to say hello :hi:

Haven't seen you on here in a while.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I'm still around... just started to neglect this place. Shame on me:( How ya been jamz?
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I'm good. glad to see you are still around.

That tomos looks sweet, I have one in my shop right now, but not the same model.

It the only true "moped" at the shop :wink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I'm not sure yet what i want to do with it... I wind up selling them all and I know I can get good money for this... Anyone know what it's worth when everything is 100% right?
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

The pipe looks like a techno bullet . It's hard to diagnose your problem without proper head temp readings. My guess is they didn't properly jet the bike floor the pipe. You will find more help on the moped army wiki
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I do have an infrared thermomenter, I'll carry it with me tomorrow. I'm curious how it's going to run, considering it was 55 and rainy today and it's supposed to be 21 tomorrow... stupid MI weather... I've been poking around on Mopedarmy, but I hate that site... all the threads are so disorganized unlike this one. I don't have to scour the whole site and leave no stone unturned here just to satisfy a simple wonder.

This is the first real "moped" I've ever owned that actually runs. I've had a couple others, one old Pacer with a two speed, not having second gear was no fun and the motor was hard to get parts for so I parted it out. I might tinker with this one and look at a 70cc kit... but I want the exhaust to make more noise... Is there a way I can make this pipe sing a bit more?
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I've been doing alot of research also and people seem to use this number 58 jet with an aftermarket pipe. After I run some more tests tomorrow, I'm going to tinker with the carb some more.. Maybe there's a chance I forgot something...
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

Be careful on using jets people tell you . Tuning is done bike to bike location to location.. Barometric pressure .. Altitude .. Etc can have an major effect . I have my puch tuned to run at its best where we do most of our "gang" rides which is 15 miles away. It's also lower in elevation . As far as making that pipe have more zing you can remove the silencer and take some packing out.. That will make it louder. Tomos ' are neat bikes . My buddies treats kitted / dell carbed / piped gives my polini'd e50 puch trouble lol
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.