Need help with my Tomos Bullet

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Need help with my Tomos Bullet

Post by wikked_spree57 »

I picked up a smokin deal on an 85 Tomos Bullet the other day. While it runs pretty good now after a few hours of cussing at the ignition system and *puke* Encarwi carb, it's shifting into second gear really late and chattering during the shift pretty bad. Then once second engages, this horrid(but not real loud) gear-whirring noise starts. My first guess was it was low on trans oil, so I put in the specified amount after draining out the old stuff(black and quite thin) of just some 10-30 so I could take it down the road. No change.

My question is, is there a specific type of oil to use? I've been told it calls for something like ATF4 with grit, but the oil I used I put in the specified 350mL per manual.

Anything else I can do to this thing to get a little more grunt out of it without buying parts? Already considering the BiTurbo pipe..
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help with my Tomos Bullet

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Oh yeah, and the speedo reports 37-39mph. Feels more like 35ish.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
motormike

Re: Need help with my Tomos Bullet

Post by motormike »

http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manuals/ ... manual.pdf

^^ here's the manual... :thumbwink:
Sounds like you have some internal problems judging by your description.... :confused:
The manual doesn't give you much info regarding the problem, but does confirm the 10-w-30 oil for trans is correct.
There are apparently two clutches, so the low-speed clutch is probably slipping.
The gear-whirring sound is probably a bearing that is going bad.
This is all just some guessing, but best I can do.... :hi:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"