'05 Zuma questions

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

'05 Zuma questions

Post by spreeinkc »

I picked up a 05 Zuma and a 09 Aprilia RS50 the other day and have a few questions. Neither of them ran but think I have them figured out. I'll just stick with the Zuma for now.

I have no history at they were bought from a storage auction. It looks like it had a bbk but something happened and the stock is back on but it still has a Leo Vance (sp?) LX pipe, aftermarket manifold, and a 24mm flat side carb. The main jet was missing so I found a 90 and a 105 that both fit. I'm thinking if it was set up for bbk that the idle jet is probably too big but anyway put the 90 in and got it started but the idle is extremely high. Like half throttle high. But I check the slide and it's down all the way and operates fine. Other than that it seems rev up fine but can't ride it like that. Would a large idle jet cause that or is the carb just too big for 49cc? Also the manifold has two spigots in the side. The oil is hooked to one and I plugged the other as the carb has a spot for the vacuum to petcock. Oh and is the oil pump set up like Hondas with a split cable? Because if so its not now because of the aftermarket carb and I'm assuming aftermarket throttle cable. Gonna try to find a smaller idle jet but don't think I have one but any suggestions would be welcome as this is the first Zuma I've had. Thansks
Wheelman-111

Re: '05 Zuma questions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I bet it isn't the jet, but an air leak. The PO probably lacked Skee-yols. Wrong jet won't make idle that high. Air leak with rich pilot can.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

I know air leak will but it seemed too high to be air leak but yeah I guess combined with a large pilot. I just got done taking the manifold off because there was silicone everywhere and it looked like crap and like it could very well be leaking. It had a strange gasket on it as well. Very thin rubber(ish) type material with orange silicone applied to both sides of lower gasket and doesn't appear to have an upper gasket. I couldn't get it off of the manifold to check so I figured it wasn't leaking. Made a gasket and cleaned off old silicone but wouldn't start. Only kicked it a few times and gave up. Have to spray a shot of carb cleaner in the carb to get it to start. Didn't feel like messing with it tonight b/c I don't have high hopes of that being the problem. gonna try to find a smaller pilot jet tomorrow.
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Well I'm stumped. I put a 90 main jet and a 35 idle jet and still does it. Made no difference. Removed manifold and made new gasket. No difference. I looked it over best I could for leaks. Found exhaust was leaking at head. Tightened exhaust, no difference. I'm scratching my head as to why the rpms are so high. I think I might video a short clip of it so you can see what I mean.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Since the P.O. was a ham-fisted sort, consider dismantling the "Flat Slide" (What brand?) carb and look for assembly errors, missing emulsion tubes, etc. If you can get your hands on a known-good Zuma carb, bolt it on if possible.

If that doesn't fix it, expose the crank end seals and look for Unsightly Drippage. I'm still pretty sure it's sucking air somewhere.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Now that you mention it the main jet is kind of weird. It's a 24mm PWK which looks just like the 24mm OKO on my Elite. Weird part is the main jet on pwk sits way up inside the tube where as my oko it sits on top (end) of tube and when together the jet would almost be sitting in the little access plug on the bottom. Would the emulsion tube have the same thread as the main jet? I'm starting to think it's missing. Crap, now I gotta go take it apart and check. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking it's missing. Thanks!!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It can be weirder than that. Keihin is the original PWK carb design. Taiwanese company OKO copied the K design with a few improvements - some say it's better than the original. Then some even-smaller and less-distinguished Asian country (maybe Thailand?) made clones of the clones. I had such a carb; a 30mm iteration. The emulsion tube was all different from Keihin. It was threaded differently and much longer. This meant that the long hex-head jets protruded so far that the bowl wouldn't bolt up and seal. It needed some generic "mushroom"-shaped jets for another brand. It was a piece of junk, but it sure was cheap.

Unless you're a PWK/OKO expert, I recommend you ditch that oddball carb altogether and shell out $80 for a proper OKO from Treatland or your favorite vendor. For peace of mind... At least it'll arrive with all its correct parts.
Wheelman-111
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Ok figured it out. It had the emulsion tube but like I was saying the jet sits way up in the tube. I swapped tubes with my oko and it fired right up and ran perfect. Well... ok not perfect but it corrected the insane idle issue, still need to play with the jets to get it dialed in and then find the right jets for the tube or get a different tube. Doesn't run too bad. That ZX pipe is noticeably louder than the V8 on my elite. Engine seems to hit a higher rpm as well. Someone has messed with the clutch springs and weights heck it might even have a aftermarket variator and or clutch housing I don't know. It had red springs so I swapped them out with the stock ones off my elite. I have a kit that has yellow, blue, and red but I assumed the stock would be softest out of all of them. Still seem to rev pretty high when trying to accelerate. Want to try a little heavier roller weights but the Yamaha ones look a little smaller than the Honda ones. Might try them anyway as they did fit. I like the bigger tires so you could go somewhat off road a little easier but not big on the low speed handling or turning basically. Handle bars want to go all the way on low speed turns. Maybe just not use to it...

Next up the Aprilia! Can't wait to get this thing running! It has the LX-R pipe and who knows what else. Haven't gone into it yet. The fuel injection assembly is leaking fuel externally so I'm hoping some new seals will fix it as I've come to find out there's nothing cheap when it comes to these. Definitely don't want to have to buy that assembly. Much rather spend it on some goodies as I've read these can be pretty badass scooters.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Zuma variator uses 15x12 weights while elite variator uses 16x13 weights. Most of the aftermarket 6 roller variators use 16x13 weights. The keli for zuma retains the 15x12 size.

Going to a smaller carb will help you offroad your zuma.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.