Looking for info for first time AF16 clone build (KymcoSC10)

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

oldgeek
Noob
Noob

Re: Noob: looking for info for a first time AF16 clone build

Post by oldgeek »

1man8scoots wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Have to go back and read F3.26 in 2011 or 2012, but I vividly recall seeing 10, 300 on the TinyTach at 70. Tallish 7.57 gears though. Never say "never".
Just to clarify I just put the pg short on a zx50 engine that sees 11,800 rpm with out any issue and I can only spin 9800. 5g rollers and 3 jet sizes smaller. The pg short simply does not make power over 9k. I hear ya that you hit 10,300 rpm at 70 mph on an af16 with gears but we're talking about a zx50 engine that he is trying to do this on.
I also use the pg short on a corsa, a mhr, a fabrizi, and a 49cc af16e. Guess which engine it performs best on... wait for it... the stock 49cc! I'm sorry but if it's good on a stock bore it's not good for a kitted engine. I understand it made it to 10,300 but in order to hit 60 on the zx50 engine you need closer to 11k and make great power.
I still stand behind my statement that you will not make it to 60 on a zx50 with a pg short.
Get a Scorpion and never have that feeling of "maybe I should have got the better pipe". I have so many exhaust systems to play with on so many different engines and cylinders I feel I may be right on this one. Especially since I have a corsa powered zx50 with stock gears and have hit 62 on it with a scorpion.
I rarely doubt or second guess any advice from wheelman. Extremely prolific in his endeavors and truly a scooter tuning guru he is.

No doubt both of you are very knowledgeable, I appreciate all input. Apparently porting, jetting, curb weight, altitude and about 100 other things influence how a setup runs. I am just a touch obsessed with getting a scooter to carry me over 60 mph! I have a couple builds on minas that have gotten me fairly close so far, and when I get the time to put my Vento clone back together I will likely reach my goal of 60 mph with it.

I was excited to see the elites with the AF16's going so fast on youtube I decided to to give the AF16 platform a try. I picked up the Kymco ZX on a whim, and have grown to really like it but only recently found out it does not accept the gearing options like the genuine AF16's do.

With that being said I may change my plans. Without much effort, I have my ZX going just over 50 mph so far. I will continue to tweak the setup and likely try the PG short pipe on it (it has a V8 pipe on it ATM) it should be a nice, reliable just under 60 mph scooter. I will take the polini corsa cylinder and the other parts I have amassed and build up the 94 Elite basket case I have. It will take me a while to get it done as I work slow, but I think this is a better plan. There is no doubt in my mind that with the help from this forum, and the right gearing, I will have a 60 mph Elite, possibly even a 70 mph Elite if I have the b***s to go that fast on 10" wheels. Lol!

Thanks, OG
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The af16 is a better platform to build in my opinion unless you want 12 inch wheels or own a zx50. I love the way the zx50 rides and handles. I'd say be happy with over 50.
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

Hows about an AF16 build on your 94 Elite? That way with a real AF16 the sky is the limit.
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Naver having owned the Kymco version, I cede to the broader experience of 1M8. Scorpion may be worth the coin if it helps you reach your goals.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
oldgeek
Noob
Noob

Post by oldgeek »

birdman wrote:Hows about an AF16 build on your 94 Elite? That way with a real AF16 the sky is the limit.
Yup, eventually, hopefully.
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

Ill keep my eyes peeled if one shows up i will let you know for sure.
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
oldgeek
Noob
Noob

Post by oldgeek »

So I was riding the Kymco zx the other day, and I started hearing that dreaded sound like a crank bearing going bad. I pulled all the stuff from the CVT and sure enough the crank has some play in it. There is almost 15000 miles on the odometer, so I guess it is almost time? It is really a bummer cause I like this scoot so much!

Anyway I decided I better get started on rebuilding the spare motor I have for it. Here is a picture of the work I did on the intake. I Also want to match the cylinder up a bit, but I cannot decide what cylinder to use yet. I may use the Polini Corsa since it will be less work to match up the boost port, and If I don't like it I can always put the Taiwan cylinder on later. If I use the Polini cylinder how well will my V8 pipe work with that?

oldgeek
Noob
Noob

Post by oldgeek »

I have been chipping away at this build for a while now. I got the malossi RHQ crank for Christmas and have finished porting the cases. Today I slapped the crank in and set up the degree wheel. With no gaskets and a light hand torque I have 130 transfers, and 186 exhaust with the Polini Corsa. I am now looking for a decent pipe, such as a Yasuni C16 or an Arrow or something equally nice, but they are nowhere to be found. Does anyone know where I can find something nice? I have a new Phongeer short I could use, but I would rather have a nice expansion pipe. THANKS!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Short PG is underrated. It matches a Corsa pretty well, helps the weak low end,and still capable of hitting 70. There may be better pipes, but not for $150. Pretty quiet too.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH