03 kymco sa10 in elite sr chassis variator install

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

willburr76
BMX
BMX

03 kymco sa10 in elite sr chassis variator install

Post by willburr76 »

So i got a polini for ruckus. Im going to install it in my kymco zx50 engine. Id really like to get some better take off. Cant do wheelies anymore. Any suggestions on the rollers. The polini variator came with 5.6 g & 6.9 i belive. Anyways just wondering should I use three of one and 3 of the other. Or go with the lighter of the 2 or buy new ones. If so what rollers would be good. Im not looking for top end im looking to get there in a hurry though!!! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Another ? Is the chain strap wrench people are using to get the front pulley off do you use the teeth on the ring gear to hold with chain??
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Re: 03 kymco sa10 in elite sr chassis variator install

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

I mixed the 5s and 6s too. It seems to be the best for one of my bikes. You get the 3rd set by mixing it.
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Did the Polini come with a longer pulley boss? Is that what you installed? IF so,(And assuming the DD uses the S-Type 15.5mm belt) the belt may be loose in the front pulley, and won't engage until the variator "shifts". It wasn't designed to act as a second clutch, and anemic acceleration and lots of belt wear can be anticipated. Shimming the pulley boss to the correct gap for any belt is critical to good performance from start as well as top speed. Swapping rollers won't help if the belt isn't tightly gripped.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

Well i havnt actually got it installed yet but I believe the boss is longer. Ill double check when i tear it apart. Ive got a streched belt i found out today. Its been a bear for tuning. I keep thinking a carb issue when its the belt slipping. Ill keep you posted as soon as I figure out what tool is going to be best for getting variator off!!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Belts can be worn too narrow to be gripped effectively by the pulleys. They can fail to shift properly when their width causes them to ride lower up front. They can fray and unravel in a storm of burnt rubber. But they really can't "stretch". The fibers encased in the rubber won't give and elongate more than a few tenths of a mm. When they do, it's usually about to grenade.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

I was just finished with the install and your totally right Wheelman111 its got good hi speed but down low its got nothing. It winds out mid throttle doesnt hardly go. I also was wondering it only rides 5/8" from the top and it did that with the kymco var. it has a new bando belt but i believe its not the right length.
Attachments
Factory variator
Factory variator
kymco variator.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 5623 times
willburr76
BMX
BMX

Post by willburr76 »

Well Ive been just running it with belt ive got on it!!! 5.6 & 8.5 rollers. I dont know if it had to get broke in or what but I have to say it was the best mod Ive done this far!!! Its snowing outside so ill be pulling the engine and doing some work on it this winter. Im thinking of going with the Polini Contessa bbk what ever one is the cheaper of the 2 polinis. Ive got a yms v8 pipe bought from a fellow member. 21mm dellorto carb, and the kymco disc frontend for the winter. Should be a fun bike next spring!!! Was thinking of a gear swap but as you know the gears are very limited for me. I want to be able to do wheelies so if anyone has a suggestion please let me know!!!