Zuma Idle Speed

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

btosi
Goped
Goped

Zuma Idle Speed

Post by btosi »

Hi all,

I have a 2003 all stock Zuma, starts and runs great. Just in the last month, sometimes not always when I come to a stop the idle is high. Not high enough to cause the scooter to move but a couple hundred rpms high. If I blip the throttle it comes right back down. It has a new spark plug and the throttle cables are a about six months old and move freely. The carburetor has not be removed for cleaning in a couple of years. Not sure what to look for.

Thanks
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Zuma Idle Speed

Post by benji »

Possible air leak
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Im gonna secound a airleak or a lean idle. If your rich you idle drops really fast. If your lean it hangs.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Thanks, But where and how do I search for an air leak? Could it be rubber hose to the inlet of the carburetor or where the outlet where it connects to the manifold?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Or the bore base gasket, head gasket, exhaust gasket. Check for oil droplets, clean the areas relal well and watch for any if the case is already all dirsty and you cant source it. For the intake side, with it running spray starter fluid on the boot, intake gasket areas and if the idle surges or stops hanging or revs uo you have an intake leak. If you have a head or exhaust leak the motor will be filthy in the shroud and the pipe will have droppelets on it. Base gaskets only blow out and sometimes are hard to spot.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Latest..... Checked for leaks could not find anything. Removed and cleaned the carb, looked clean but cleaned it anyways. One thing I did notice. When I first start and take-off everything is good. Come to a stop light/sign and rev goes right back down. I live in a warm climate and this seems to be consistent. I get to a red light about 3 miles from home and that is when the revs stay higher. Blip the throttle and it comes back down. Just asking, could a roller weight be sticking? Any thoughts? Thanks
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Sounds like your running lean for some reason. Try adjusting your air screw a little, and maybe do some plug chops. You might have some tiny air leak somewhere that you can't find, or maybe in the carb. Maybe try getting a carb rebuild kit?
Kamanaen
Noob
Noob

Zuma Idle Speed

Post by Kamanaen »

I have the same sort of issue on my 220. Try pulling the accelerator pedal back a bit when it happens, the pedal wont feel like its moving but the revs drop back to normal idle.