After Market Variator effect?

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

cancunia
Spree
Spree

After Market Variator effect?

Post by cancunia »

I took my AE50 for a test run yesterday away from the public roads as it's not yet legal. All seems ok, the smoky exhaust cleared up after a few bursts at full throttle so that was a positive result. I couldn't get up to full speed as the test area wasn't long enough but I did get past 30 and saw no reason why it wouldn't get to 40 with a reasonable run up.
Problem was that at 35 or so the engine was revving quite high so I'm thinking about getting some higher gearing at some point.

Gearing seems to come in 2 flavours, variator or transmission gears. My question is, assuming that the existing standard variator closes enough for the belt to reach the top, are after market variators capable of making a higher top speed than standard, if so how?

Thanks
motormike

Re: After Market Variator effect?

Post by motormike »

cancunia wrote:are after market variators capable of making a higher top speed than standard, if so how?
Short answer is "Yes"
Will have to defer to the experts for the "how".
Good work... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Most of the aftermarket variators have a little bigger outside diameter. That makes the front pulley turn fewer turns for a given number of back pulley turns. Mounting some "for Ruckus" pulleys like Polini (95mm) and Malossi (97mm) increase the effective multiplier effect by more than 10%. IF your engine has the power to pull the taller gearing - or you are favored by a tailwind or downhill, this results in significant top speed improvement. My little Vespa 50 went 39MPH bone-stock. The larger Malossi variator alone improved that to 45 or so. Not a bad upgrade for less than $100.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Ah, now I understand. I'm not sure how much room there is inside the case for a bigger variator but will see what's available.

Thanks