JOG HELP!!!

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

1) 30 PSI won't fire
2) An aftermarket jug and piston for that couldn't cost more than $150, and would make for a faster scoot. Good stock parts may be available too.

As for whether paying $200 is too much, I guess that depends. But replacing a jug and piston isn't that difficult with basic tools. You need to meet some handier friends and/or get handier yourself if you want to stay on scoots for long.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

here is the picture how to assembly together. all oil must be lubes while assembly parts.

vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Well, like I said...no time, no tools.

Anyway, turns out it doesn't need a new piston. He wrote me when he thought it was and he was ready to head home for the night. Now, I got it the next morning, and by that time he had been there for a while and did some stuff to it, and it will not need a new cylinder.

Now, problem is, this guy straight up charges 80 bucks an hour for label. He has a sign saying so. And there are two other cycle repair places in the plaza that have similar signs, but they won't even touch scoots. The place I took it to is right up the street, and I have no truck to take it elsewhere, nor do I know anyone who has one.

Also, I don't know any mechanic types. So, this is really my only option.

So...getting screwed? Yeppers. But, I have very little other option, because I need to get this scooter on the road asap.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Learn, $100 will get you all the tools needed. An hour a night gets a lot done.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Well, I'm glad I'm getting a million and one "I told you so's".

Anyway, he's putting new reeds in, although he had to order them. He got it going pretty good, but didn't measure the compression once he got it running well. I'm obviously not happy with him here, but like I said, "no tools, no time", which apparently means very little to anyone else on here.

I dunno, we'll see. He thinks a new piston is a good idea, but at the same time isn't a must.

One thing is for sure, though...this scooter, over ther past few owners, has not been properly serviced or taken care of. It's in really good shape, considering, but otherwise, it's pretty obvious people didn't value the scoot.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

take moped to shop, he want money from you! :lol:
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

vnice wrote: but like I said, "no tools, no time", which apparently means very little to anyone else on here.

What are you doing with your life that makes you so busy?
vinnie
BMX
BMX

Post by vinnie »

Can I just say, if you are going to own a scooter, you are going to need to take the time to fix it up every now and then... I would say it's worth investing in the tools etc.

I just finished getting my spree rebuilt, I had someone else put the new piston in etc, but I reassembled the whole thing again despite my complete lack of knowledge of how to do so...

Basically I am just saying that you should do as much of it yourself as you can... that way you known what quality of work has happened - you won't just be taking some possibly dodgy mechanics word for it.

Good luck with it
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Well, I made an attempt with what little tools and time I had. But, rather than work on my scooter for possibly weeks, I wanted to try and get this up and running asap, because my family has only one car. I can't leave my wife without the car all day while I'm at work any more, because she needs to work and get to her classes, so a scooter is the cheapest option, plus it allows us to save some money on gas.

As for my time being so limited, I am a teacher, I have a family, and I generally like to see them at least for a little while, rather than being holed up in the garage like I was for a week, trying to figure out the problems.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Keep in mind this entire site is directed towards DIY or training people to DIY.

If you have to take it to a mechanic, then you should probably go with what he's recommending. The parts he's replacing will probably make it run better than it has. Rings need changed at about 3000 miles anyway, for example. Do they need changed right now? No, but it won't hurt.

Sounds like it's running now anyway. What was the final bill?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

With the new reeds, and a new patch because I pinched mine, plus the labor, and cleaning of the engine, which truth be told was CAKED in sludge and dirt, is about $225. Expensive. But, if it runs, it will buy me time in that I can get to work, save money on gas, and while I do that, periodically play with my scooter and get aquainted with its innards.

I *do* want to be as DIY as possible with the scooter, but I need help getting off the ground, which is why I finally threw in the towel and let a mechanic at it. Also, keep in mind that this is my first experience EVER with a scooter.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

vnice wrote:With the new reeds, and a new patch because I pinched mine, plus the labor, and cleaning of the engine, which truth be told was CAKED in sludge and dirt, is about $225. Expensive. But, if it runs, it will buy me time in that I can get to work, save money on gas, and while I do that, periodically play with my scooter and get aquainted with its innards.

I *do* want to be as DIY as possible with the scooter, but I need help getting off the ground, which is why I finally threw in the towel and let a mechanic at it. Also, keep in mind that this is my first experience EVER with a scooter.
$225 isnt as bad as $400 like you were saying earlier. I dont know what you paid for it to begin with though. Also the $225 will pay for itself if you do use the scoot alot. The savings on gas are crazy compared to driving a car, at least they seem that way for me. I use mine more as toys then for transportation but I do take one to work every now and then.

Since it is your first experience with a scooter, I am sure you will love riding it as much as the rest of us on here. I have owned many motorcycles and I must say that I enjoy riding my scoot more than any of the bikes I have had.

Its cheap, and I mean cheap. It cost me under a $100 for the year to plate it, register it, and insure it. Then it cost next to nothing to gas it up. I can fill it up for under $3.00 and go out and ride it almost all day. It will pay for itself.

Being your a teacher I am assuming you will learn things quickly. Just read and read up on here. Even if you dont know anything about anything jsut keep reading threads on here. I know most of them relate to the Honda's but they both work pretty much the same. Things are in different places and stuff but the basic workings of the scoot are the same.

Just read away and you will pick stuff up over time. After you start riding it and get more familiar with it things will come easier to you when you do need to work on it.

I hope you get a few good days of riding it before it gets really cold out, I guess that depends on where you live though. 8)
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

I am in Las Vegas, but it does get cold here in the winter, so I have to try and ride warm.
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Guess what...they still AREN'T DONE WITH THE BIKE.

Yeah...they said since I didn;t have the money to pay, they weren;t going to work on it anymore.

I don't have the money for it, because I was going to use it to get to work while my wife used our car to get to the new job she got. But since she couldn;t get to work, because after 4 weeks the bike wasn't done, she lost the job. So, the money we *borrowed* to pay the bill went to pay bills, plus we had to make car repairs.

Now, I wasn't told I had to put money down, and they're acting like I owe them a favor because that's how they *normally* operate.

Whatever...I'm so disgusted with anything that has to do with scooters right now, I could spit.

I hate people.