JOG HELP!!!

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Hmm...being that I have not owned this long, do I know for SURE that these tires are tube-tires, and not tubeless?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If they are tubeless all you need is a valve stem.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

vnice wrote:Hmm...being that I have not owned this long, do I know for SURE that these tires are tube-tires, and not tubeless?
Tubes or tubeless, it really does not matter. To replace a valve stem you need to take the rim off and remove the tire. Since you have to take the tire off to do the stem you might as well just put a new tube in there. If the tires are tubeless put a tube in anyways then you dont have to worry about if the tire leaks or not.
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Got the new tire on, but it still dies at wide-open throttle.

So, I put it into a shop...I'm in over my head with this.
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Bad news...no compression, and the guy wants to put in a new piston and rings kit. But, he charges like, 80 bucks an hour for labor. This 300 dollar bike is all of a sudden going to cost at least 400 bucks more, which I don't really have.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

DIY
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

I got good running motor :)

are you willing to parts out ? :D
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

No time...no tools.

He said compression is at about 30 pounds.

But, he later said he has it running strong (i'm leaving the details out about how he did that for brevity), but that compression isn't stronger. How is that even possible?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Hes * you if he got it running on 30.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

30 psi compression test cant get those running, well, I tell you , there are many thing can go wrong on the motor on lack of compression.
vnice
Goped
Goped

Post by vnice »

Um...huh?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I want his * details.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

vnice wrote:Bad news...no compression, and the guy wants to put in a new piston and rings kit. But, he charges like, 80 bucks an hour for labor. This 300 dollar bike is all of a sudden going to cost at least 400 bucks more, which I don't really have.
The piston and rings cost about $50.00 from Mr Cycles, I am sure they can be found for cheaper. The cylinder (jug) is about $130.00 from the same place.

The jug might be ok needing just a hone before putting back together. If the guy told you around $400.00 then he must have already took the head and jug off of the motor to inspect those parts.

So saying the whole top end needs replaced, that is about $200.00 in parts, which I still think can be found cheaper. And you probably do not need a new jug so then parts would be around $55.00 with the gaskets.

But lets just say that everything needs replaced, so that is $200.00 in parts, and $200.00 for labor.

That would be called getting screwed, where at do you live? If you lived by me I would install the parts for you for the price of a pack of smokes if not free. It really is not that hard of a job to do.

The guy working on the scoot must know that you dont have any idea what is involved and he thinks he can make some quick bucks.

Don't you have any friends that are back yard mechanics? A lawn mower mechanic could do the job easily as well as most guys that ride dirt bikes and mess around with rebuilding them.

It really is not that hard of a job.

What does everyone else think?
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

vnice wrote:No time...no tools.

But, he later said he has it running strong (i'm leaving the details out about how he did that for brevity), but that compression isn't stronger. How is that even possible?
I would like to see that motor run strong with 30 pounds of compression, Its not possible. Getting it started would be a chore in itself.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

ALOW1 wrote:
vnice wrote:No time...no tools.

I would like to see that motor run strong with 30 pounds of compression, Its not possible. Getting it started would be a chore in itself.
Getting it to make any sort of fire wold be a chore.