Yamaha Champ LC50 manual?

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

kentdog007
Goped
Goped

Yamaha Champ LC50 manual?

Post by kentdog007 »

Hello,

I have a non-running Yamaha Champ LC50 (1980-81) and cannot find much along the lines of a service manual for it.

It is pretty complete, was on the road in 2004 but it is an odd little bike; 6v, no electric start.

When I try and kick start the bike, it has very little resistance and it makes a real smooth quiet noise; the smallest amount of light grey smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Any help or direction would be great. Thanks. :)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Sounds like it was run without oil and the topend is shot(assuing its a 2 stroke without oil injection)? Pour a table spoon of oil in the spark plug hole, crank it without the plug several times, repalce the plug, squirt some gas in the carb and see what happens.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
kentdog007
Goped
Goped

Oil injection

Post by kentdog007 »

I believe it is oil injection as there are separate tanks/fillers for gas and oil; similar to the Spree setup. With the plug out, it sounds like any of my other 2 stroke mopeds, but with the plug in it you don't hear any noticable engine "chugs".

I will try what you said; I think the tank and everything has to come off to get to the air filter holder, but I am getting spark and gas so at some point here something has to burn right?

Thanks.
kentdog007
Goped
Goped

Top end on Yamaha

Post by kentdog007 »

Before I tried the oil without the plug, I turned up the idle screw on the carb and gave it a kick; ran (charged) for maybe 1.5 second, white smoke. It will run every few minutes, better if I give it lits of throttle while starting; but comes to a very rigid STOP. Put the squirt of oil and kicked it w/o the plug a few times...similar results still.

My roomate says he hears bad noises, like a ring is shot..you said the top end might be shot from lack of oil. Its oil injection but I noticed the injector is disconnected, must of been running premix...I hope.

If it runs like a * for a second, wouldn't it stop if there was serious internal damage? Or can a shot engine give a flash of life every three minutes?

Its got 4500+miles on it, any thoughts? Be gentle :(
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If you can get it ruing it will run, carb is probably clogged up.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:If you can get it ruing it will run, carb is probably clogged up.
Thats what it sounds like to me. Even if your getting gas or your kicking it over and your plug is getting wet with gas, does not mean that the carb is working ok.

It sounds to me like the carb needs cleaned.
HondaCharlie
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaCharlie »

Is it the OLD champ, like a mini-bike style with dirt tires or is it the newer champ that is a scooter with a leg shield and very similar to yamaha QT50? YOU are running premix in it right? If it will fire for a second then it has enough compression to run. Clean the carb out and petcock and you should be running.
HondaCharlie
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Could also be a spark plug, I got a dirtbike and tried to get it running for a week, new plug and 3 kicks later it was running great.