***NEW TAX*** Cook County IL "Non-Retailer Use" tax

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

***NEW TAX*** Cook County IL "Non-Retailer Use" tax

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Okay.

As some of you know, in June I purchased my first scooter, a 1985 Spree. Just this week, November 7, I get a letter from the Cook County Department of Revenue. Basically, it's a gigantic load of bull sh*t. Apparently, when you buy or inherit a used vehicle from anyone else other than a licensed used vehicle dealer, it's subject to this new tax, which is from Cook County. NOT the state, NOT the feds, just Cook. even though I paid for the scooter, the $25 federal fee, and the $100 DMV title transfer fee, now I have to pay $175 for this Cook County tax. Let's do the math. $400 for the scoot, $125 in DMV fees, and now $175 to the county. Total cost for my bike? $700. :*: OUCH!!!!!!!

It's even more for newer vehicles, here's the link.
http://www.cookcountyil.gov/portal/serv ... se_tax/678
Sorry for complaning, but I needed to vent.
-Nick
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: ***NEW TAX*** Cook County IL "Non-Retailer Use" tax

Post by dun rite »

And I thought Hawaii was tax happy.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

I consider myself a Democrat and I still think Chicago is a liberal cesspool.

If it can be sold, they will tax it. It's all about the $$$ in Illinois.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
Atis
BMX
BMX

Post by Atis »

Ok they want to make money but why according to the ordinance do retailers pay 1% and you are paying over 40% with the rate they impose based on age without even taking into account price? New York DMV has been collecting sales tax for as long as I can remember but 40%, wow!
Gerris
Noob
Noob

Re: bookkeeping services near me

Post by Gerris »

87spree70superbee wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 pm Okay.

As some of you know, in June I purchased my first scooter, a 1985 Spree. Just this week, November 7, I get a letter from the Cook County Department of Revenue. Basically, it's a gigantic load of bull sh*t. Apparently, when you buy or inherit a used vehicle from anyone else other than a licensed used vehicle dealer, it's subject to this new tax, which is from Cook County. NOT the state, NOT the feds, just Cook. even though I paid for the scooter, the $25 federal fee, and the $100 DMV title transfer fee, now I have to pay $175 for this Cook County tax. Let's do the math. $400 for the scoot, $125 in DMV fees, and now $175 to the county. Total cost for my bike? $700. :*: OUCH!!!!!!!

It's even more for newer vehicles, here's the link.
http://www.cookcountyil.gov/portal/serv ... se_tax/678
Sorry for complaning, but I needed to vent.
-Nick

wow! How do I solve this tax problem?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sounds like a "flat-rate" tax regardless of the value of the vehicle? 7/16ths of the value of the vehicle seems a tad high otherwise. Perhaps you can dispute the amount if you attach a NADA or Kelly Blue Book value for the 1985 Spree. But you're gonna pay Something, as the county needs funding for its excellent road maintenance and law enforcement. ;)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:23 am Greetings:

Sounds like a "flat-rate" tax regardless of the value of the vehicle? 7/16ths of the value of the vehicle seems a tad high otherwise. Perhaps you can dispute the amount if you attach a NADA or Kelly Blue Book value for the 1985 Spree. But you're gonna pay Something, as the county needs funding for its excellent road maintenance and law enforcement. ;)
Wow, looking back on this now I realize how naive I was to the real world... I was 15 when I bought my Spree and started this thread... at the time I was saving up what I could from here and there with no actual job so that was a lot of cash to me. Still is, I think a flat rate system is completely stupid for this and I think it has since changed, but still.. as you stated, you're gonna pay something to the county, especially due to the reckless nature of their spending and the pensions we can't afford but they continue to approve.

I can't wait to move out of Hellinois. :coolcruise:
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.